Thread: Movement on the refugee front--EU and Turkey

Movement on the refugee front--EU and Turkey

Looks like the EU has finally come to some sort of agreement on giving Turkey some aid to handle the influx of refugees.

There's a good article here at the NYT. (I think you can read up to 10 articles a month for free.) http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/30/wo...s&emc=rss&_r=0

Recap: Turkey gets 3 billion Euros and "other inducements", and in return, will take action to stem the flow of refugees out of Turkey and into Europe. One goal is to separate those fleeing war from those just looking for a better economic future, who have no right to asylum under international law. Also, it looks as if Turkey's wish for visa-free travel for its citizens throughout Europe will be granted.

One of the difficulties in brokering this agreement is the reluctance of some European countries to deal with Turkey, because of the current president's human rights record.

Plus many Europeans are wary of allowing Turks easier movement throughout the EU.

Thanks for the interesting article.

Off topic, but I enjoy reading the NYT. Even for liberal me it's a little too liberal at times, but they have good writers. I have found that once I hit their 10 article a month limit I can clear my browsing history and start all over again. Clearing the browser is probably not a bad idea to do every now and then anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Thanks for the interesting article.

Off topic, but I enjoy reading the NYT. Even for liberal me it's a little too liberal at times, but they have good writers. I have found that once I hit their 10 article a month limit I can clear my browsing history and start all over again. Clearing the browser is probably not a bad idea to do every now and then anyway.
    thank you for this tip! I'm always over my 10 articles, I was going to have it delivered but sticker shock

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Turkey also is agitating to get into the EU. I honestly can't see that happening, especially as long as the current recently reelected leader is in power.

And yet.....

Thread Information