Thread: Cures for Runner's Knee

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

Cures for Runner's Knee

Has anyone successfully fixed/cured their runner's knee(s). I've had a painful (especially going up and down stairs) left knee for over s year now. Orthopedic surgeon, after MRI and exam, said it was runner's knee. No tears, no arthritis.

So I've stopped the treadmill and the bike at the gym at his advice. Done the recommended exercises to build up my quads and hamstrings. Still sore, still hurts on the stairs

Wondering if a referral to s podiatrist might help. Maybe orthotics? I tend to pronate out some on the left foot.

Anyone else have tips or success stories on here to go next?

Walking on a level surface is fine..most everything else is painful.

Appreciate your insights. The Happy Hiker is a bit unhappy right now.
    peaceful, easy feeling

I had a lot of pain in both knees. So much that our trip to japan was pretty miserable with all the uneven stairs and such. I could not raise my foot more than a couple of inches. When I got back, I started Les Mills Body Pump which has sections for various parts of the body using weights. We also take a low impact aerobic and floor exercise class for a total of 5 times a week doing one or the other. It has been two years and the knees are in shape with no pain doing stairs. I still have to place my feet correctly when doing movement but the muscles around the knee are much stronger.

My two rules are no running or jumping during exercise class. One foot is always on the ground for balance.

I've have various knee problems for much of my adult life, but have managed to stay active and do most of the things I enjoy. Runners knee is pretty non-specific and it's probably worth trying a handful of different things. I use Superfeet inserts in all of my shoes. I think it might help, but I'm not positive, and I'm a strong believer in good shoes that fit right. In spite of my simple living tendencies, I spare little expense on shoes. One of my problems has been condromalatia patela, where basically the knee cap does not track correctly with the knee joint. My crude understanding is that one cause is when one side of the quadricep becomes stronger than the other and pulls the knee cap out of place. I've done strengthening exercises to develop both sides of the quads evenly, like light weights and light cycling. I've also had ITB syndrome, where connective tissue that extends from the rear end to the outside of the knee becomes tight from overuse and rubs against the knee joint (again, my crude understanding). It's a common problem with runners. I have religiously used a foam pad to massage and loosen the tissue, which I think has helped. I've used chondroitin supplements, but really didn't think that helped. I've pretty much given up running, but am able to do most everything else I enjoy, like cycling, hiking, and backpacking, and I'm in my early 60's. My humble unprofessional opinion is that having strong quadriceps to support the knee joint and maintaining a healthy weight will help any knee problem to some degree.

I don't know how much faith you have in your doctor, but I'd be tempted to see a sports doctor or a good physical therapist. They might be better able to more specifically describe your ailment so you can do the right things to help. I wouldn't give up. Between professional help and some trial and error on your own, I'll bet you can improve things.

I agree with Rogar. Good shoes with appropriate inserts were also helpful. My family doctor would be worthless at anything regarding knees. We got good help from the sports doctor husband went to for his knees. The doctor wanted us to avoid surgery. His comment any surgery would accelerate the need for total replacement. That is where the exercise and weight loss came into play.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Many thanks, Rogar..your info and advice is very helpful..I will pursue this with my doctor and see if I can get a referral to a sports doctor...if she won't or my insurance won;t pay for it, then I will pay out of pocket.

The conditions you describe sound very close to what I'm experiencing with the knee hurting and pain going down my let where a ligament/muscle? is. Feels as though something is pressing/rubbing on a nerve..which, as you said, could very well be the case if the knee is out of alignment.

And I've been wearing crappy shoes...
    peaceful, easy feeling

It's never a one-size-fits all.....

--Go gluten-free.... REALLY! I suggested that, and adding gelatin to his diet, to our neighbor who is a baseball umpire who had a lot of knee trouble from squatting, and it worked very well for him. Gluten was the cause of all my major and minor inflammation issues.

--Eliminate dairy. Our daughter (44-years old) is a busy athlete and avid mountain biker. She generally comes in first in running events for her age group, and running isn't even her "thing". She recently had trouble with her knees, and like you, the doctors didn't diagnose anything. By doing research on-line, she found dairy products could be the cause, and in her case, it was. She eliminated dairy (which is one of her favorite food groups), and rehabilitated them by adding gelatin to her diet.

--Add gelatin to your diet. I use 2 kinds, the common one that gels, and one that doesn't gel. I suggest brands like Bernard Jensen's 100% Bovine Gelatin and Great Lakes Gelatin - leave the Knox gelatin at the store.... Collagen protein (gelatin) helps your body's natural ability to repair supporting connective tissue (bone, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, skin, hair, and nails). I make all kinds of things with the gelatin that gels, including one that is like eating fudge. I use Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate (in the green box) as an add-in because it does NOT gel, so I add it to a cup of cocoa, smoothie, etc.

--Consume lots of bone broth which contains prolaine and glycine, both great for joint health, as well as collagen - which holds the body together.
    http://nourishedkitchen.com/bone-broth/

--If you eat a lot of lean muscle meat (and tend to avoid the fat), lean muscle meat is very inflammatory. When we quit eating the fatty parts of meat, we eliminated the "good" part that helps off-set the inflammation found in the muscle meat. You can balance lean muscle meat by consuming gelatin (commercial gelatin or the gelatin found in homemade bone broth). I make a quick pan sauce with bone broth + gelatin, by cooking the small amount of broth in a pan until it is simmering, then add a pat of butter to thicken it. I always serve that when we eat muscle meat that has very little fat to off-set the inflammation it causes.

--Do you also consume a lot of protein powders? If so, they are also highly inflammatory (whether whey, rice, soy, etc.).

I had knee problems for fifteen years as a dancer. I did Bikram Yoga, and it completely healed them. I didn't like the hot room, so I learned the sequence and practiced it at home. They have been pain free for the past twenty years.

Louise Hay has written some interesting material about knees, how they are slow to heal, and how they are related to family issues.

I had a torn meniscus in one knee a few years back. It took a year to heal completely and I give most of the credit to patience and exercises that the physical therapist gave me. I also happened upon some books by John Sarno on the mind-body connection that have helped with several health issues.

I've had problems with both knees from my days of being a cave guide in the late 80's. 6 miles of stairs a day will do that to you.
    I go through stages where they bother me, currently in one right now with my left. I agree on less dairy but I'm going to give lessisbest's idea of gelatin a try.
    I do a little bit of walking backwards and simple ABC's movements with the knee to get full range.
    At least it's not so bad as the years where I'd just hug them with a heating pad and cry (and I have a high pain tolerance). I don't even know if a heating pad was a bad idea or not.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information