Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Years is coming up, anyone considering a resolution?

I'm with Steve. I'm moving slowly in the right direction; I guess I could pick up the pace some. Resolutions are always too ambitious and lead to bad feelings, IMO.

Bae, Pre or post enlightenment?

I set some goals for this year and I think I've done ok.

If nobody gets sick in the next month I have a healthy herd of exactly 16 goats (check)
    I rehomed the alpacas (check)
    I particated in one pottery/craft sale/show (check)

The garden was better than last year if not truly productive (I did hardly any canning)
    my closet is more orderly than it was a year ago (but not done)

The chickens are not profitable (financially, we eat a lot of eggs)
    I have not refenced or reseeded due to construction
    i have not gotten any pictures off the computer and into scrap books
    and I have not created a menu book to help with meal planning (I was going to write down what we ate every night to help with this.)

I was also keeping track of every single thing in or out to help me be more mindful. I stopped this early in the fall, but I am confident that out wins overall by a landslide and also wins in every single category except doll collection and underwear (which we needed more of)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    you weren't kidding! I hope you have help

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Bae, Pre or post enlightenment?
    Doesn't matter, it's still gotta get done :-)

I fail at vague resolutions like lose wt/exercise more and then I just feel worse.

This year has a necessary one that I am going to start tackling now. I am going to do more than collect the medical info from doctors' and get it to the right person, keeping a copy for me and shoving it in a file. I am going to organize it. I am going to keep and log in every medical cost so I am prepared at the end of next year for taxes and again stop shoving this info into the now massive file. And everything else that comes in of a medical nature will be put in the right spot right away. Rather than facing again next year, my massive file of info that I did do well for keeping but let accumulate like Gremlins with no organization.

This year I started a Joy LIst . Every morning writing down one thing that gave me joy. They often repeat, but I think it has been a wonderful exercise for me. It keeps me mindful of the good in my life. I would recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I fail at vague resolutions like lose wt/exercise more and then I just feel worse.

This year has a necessary one that I am going to start tackling now. I am going to do more than collect the medical info from doctors' and get it to the right person, keeping a copy for me and shoving it in a file. I am going to organize it. I am going to keep and log in every medical cost so I am prepared at the end of next year for taxes and again stop shoving this info into the now massive file. And everything else that comes in of a medical nature will be put in the right spot right away. Rather than facing again next year, my massive file of info that I did do well for keeping but let accumulate like Gremlins with no organization.
    Thanks for this one, I really need to do this too. I created an HSA for 2016 and I really need to stay on top of that and see how it works out. So ok, I have a resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    This year I started a Joy LIst . Every morning writing down one thing that gave me joy. They often repeat, but I think it has been a wonderful exercise for me. It keeps me mindful of the good in my life. I would recommend it.
    Great idea!

I'm another one who prefers goals, and sometimes I do fun resolutions like "eat more lobster," or "have fresh flowers in the house more often."

ok, I do have to have an exercise goal, after all. I've finally been told I can ride a recumbent bike, no extra walking or treadmill, which would be a hell of a lot easier since I can both walk and own a treadmill. But if I haven't caught on by now that too much extra walking leads to bad things and I will eventually have a traumatic brain injury or at the very least, I'm gonna break my nose, then I am a half wit.

I am supposed to find a recumbent bike that the pedals are above heart level. I don't think my cardiologist has ever been to a gym because I have never seen a recumbent bike like that before, you'd have to be practically sitting on the floor with your feet in the air. And I can find no such thing online. I found the perfect bike, cushy seat, armrests, a place to put my mini so I can watch movies, it's $75 more than one without these and other features. But I confess I am dreading this with every shred of my being because I know this is going to be pathetically slow going (I am to start at 5 mins for a week and increase by 5 mins every week), so I want those armrests and an easy way to watch netflix. It's $350, gulp and guilt. I'm just holding off to see if the price drops in January when exercise equipment goes on sale.

I have had a craigslist alert for months, no recumbent bikes and I am on the list for Play it Again Sports, no luck there either, besides their prices are high. So time to seriously look at buying.

Thread Information