Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Facing my fear...

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    This is what alcohol is for. Two drinks and you'll be good to go.

Yes - I remember you don't drink. Just bugging you.

I was raised Mennonite. Drinking dancing earrings and movies were bad. And two piece swimsuits.

So I'm still awkward with dancing. Generally don't even do it. But if social pressure prevails I can slow dance. Just move your feet and smile.
    Haha! Thanks for the support!

Slow dancing is far easier. I usually take the initiative to ask DW if she'd like to dance when I hear a slow song coming on. She gets to dance, I dance, and I'm excused from the Electric Slide or Chicken Dance or whatever's coming next.

You can do this, UA. People are not going to be watching as much as you might think.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Ul I remember from aerobics that no one really watches you dance. I think it's wonderful you are doing it, taking lessons to do it well, you might even have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Slow dancing is far easier. I usually take the initiative to ask DW if she'd like to dance when I hear a slow song coming on. She gets to dance, I dance, and I'm excused from the Electric Slide or Chicken Dance or whatever's coming next.
    this is the perfect strategy for 90% of the male population, if they only knew how many points they get for taking the initiative, and get to then slide on the Electric Slide

I've had that same fear of dancing in public my entire adult life. The one thing I learned though is that no-one really cares how bad you are as everyone is mostly watching the good dancers.

My wife convinced me to attend once a week Zumba class with her a few years ago and I spent about 18 months dancing in the back row with all the other old guys. We really sucked, but it was fun and we all made a habit of going out for margaritas afterward. I say go out and dance like no one's watching, you'll enjoy it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The folks at this party come from three dancing cultures...

I will certainly be the odd-man-out. haha

Here is what I learned from mostly:

Though I did take a few line dance lessons as well.

I hope you have a great time!

Where is this event? Point is, if it was an event like a friends wedding, etc, you would probably be more comfortable, as you knew the others well enough, that you had already done some stupid stuff in front of, and knew you lived through it. If this is a strangers event, then realize both you will probably never see any of them again and ALL of them once had their first dance.
    Also not a drinker but I do agree that is what so many people use alcohol for, to loosen up their fears/tension.

Do you have a fear of public speaking? Maybe it isn't the dancing your worried about.

Just smile and remember to move your feet around. Have a great time!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Fear faced.

Narrow win for UA. haha

If it was a football game my team would have won 8 to 7 with a two point conversion in the last few seconds of the 4th quarter.

I did the two-step with a couple variations, some stair-stepping, and the heel-toe. These three moves got the job done and I blended in pretty well.

Girlfriend was happy.

Thread Information