Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Ultimate Downsizing Tool"

"The Ultimate Downsizing Tool"

Check out this device. Anyone got one? Thoughts?

How much is your time worth?

I am so curious to know what kind of documents someone of her young age has that are not already in digital form besides the photos. And really, she is young and can't have that many paper photos.

In my household I've got scads of paper documents, but they are all ephemeral. I don't need them long term. If we lost them in a fire that would be too bad, but I would live without them.

I suppose we should scan the abstract tied to this property, that's a great historical record that should go to the next owner and a digital copy ensures it will live beyond us.

I've already scanned and and distributed key family photos of ancient relatives so I no longer have the only copies. All,of the rest of the paper photos we have are of me and DH, so those will die with us and that's ok.

rodeosweetheart
    Maybe she should work on decluttering her house, prior to making minimalism videos. Distractingly cluttered in the background.

So yeah, probably good she bought the scanner.

Williamsmith
    Looks like the perfect tool to enable hoarding of all documents irrespective of their usefulness or importance to your life. An entire family ought to be able to keep all the original documents necessary for life in a cardboard box similar to what she has sitting on the table. If you don't have a spot for that then you are seriously challenged for space. Another useless gadget that purports to solve a storage problem where no storage problem should exist. Digital hoarding.

Oh yeah, the really important documents can't be reimagined digital copies. They are often required to be originals....so why not just keep them that way and forgo hoarding digital equipment also.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Oh yeah, the really important documents can't be reimagined digital copies. They are often required to be originals....so why not just keep them that way and forgo hoarding digital equipment also.
    I have thought of this, that scanning all of these keeps you from making the decisions. As I am going through a decluttering process now, I totally see how the "I will decide that later" has led to lots of extra boxes. I am trying to work through the process. Knowing me, if I had the scanner, I'd do the same thing, and it wouldn't cut down on the amount I was saving.

Interesting device... obviously new and way over-priced! Looks like the MSRP is about $299, retails for $159-179 at the office supply stores, and is on Amazon for $148. Oh, and eBay for $70-$250.
    I might be interested, at a $40 price point, lol!! I have a few docs and photos I'd like to scan, then I'd be looking to sell it.

Read the title, and thought: Death?

Eventually, I could see something scanner related being closer to the ultimate. But besides 2d stuff (of which you complained about digital clutter), it would need to be able to scan 3d stuff for 3d printing.

Williamsmith
    I still believe the ultimate downsizing tool is a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I still believe the ultimate downsizing tool is a dumpster.
    I nominate this for Simple Living Quote of 2015!

Thread Information