Thread: Article: How Self-Reliance and Voluntary Simplicity Equals Power

Article: How Self-Reliance and Voluntary Simplicity Equals Power

VS as power... Very interesting indeed.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homes...-zbcz1512.aspx

Yup. I remember when I was a brownie leader, and my co-leader said to me (in a resentful, jealous tone) " I wish *i* could stay home with my kid.". I thought about her life - fashionable new clothes and shoes all the time, monthly manicures and haircut and color, gym membership, new suv, pool, packaged snacks, really nice house, dinner out a lot... - and she was the second earner with one child. I had 3. And I wanted to say "no you don't."

But what I said was "well, you have to give up a lot." which is kind of bull, because I was "home" with my first two kids when I was the sole earner making about 12,000 a year - I was able to mostly make my own hours and to take them to work with me and I never felt like I was giving up anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    But what I said was "well, you have to give up a lot." which is kind of bull, because I was "home" with my first two kids when I was the sole earner making about 12,000 a year - I was able to mostly make my own hours and to take them to work with me and I never felt like I was giving up anything.
    I actually think that's the perfect answer.

Yes, sometimes being at home is less expensive than working, especially when you add up all the extras. I always looked forward to the summers when I wasn't teaching, because I saved a lot of money then. The most obvious and a big chunk, was daycare for my daughter. That hour and a half after school cost a lot!

Even when we were out in the motorhome, we spent a lot less eating, because I cooked 3 meals most days from scratch, and we picked wild berries and stopped at the fruit and produce stands along the way. Our utility bills at home were minimal, and we seldom spent money on resorts, choosing instead to use BLM and park campsites. Our only real summer expense was gasoline.

Here's an example of the simple life and power. I listened to Dave Ramsey read this on his radio show the other day, and was able to find it on the internet. Haven't verified that this actually happened, but the story goes that one of the colonial Americans, General James Carlton, offered to send a few Native American young men to William and Mary to "improve" and "educate" them, and this was the response they got back from the Chief:

The Indians of the Six Nations to William & Mary College (1744)

Sirs,

We know that you highly esteem the kind of leaning taught in Colleges, and that the Maintenance of our young Men, while with you, would be very expensive to you. We are convinced, therefore, that you mean to do us Good by your Proposal; and we thank you heartily. But you, who are wise, must know that different Nations have different Conceptions of things; and you will therefore not take it amiss, if our Ideas of this kind of Education happen not to be the same with yours. We have had some Experience of it. Several of our Young People were formerly brought up at the Colleges of the Northern Provinces; they were instructed in all your Sciences; but, when they came back to us, they were bad Runners, ignorant of every means of living in the Woods, unable to bear either Cold or Hunger, knew neither how to build a Cabin, take a Deer, or kill an Enemy, spoke our Language imperfectly, were therefore neither fit for Hunters, Warriors, nor Counsellors; they were totally good for nothing. WE are, however, not the less obliged by your kind Offer, tho’ we decline accepting it; and, to show our grateful Sense of it, if the Gentlemen of Virginia will send us a Dozen of their Sons, we will take care of their Education; instruct them in all we know, and make Men of them."
    Nothing wrong with college, but there are many other kinds of intelligences, and this kind is one that has been completely ignored, but it can certainly give you power.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Here's an example of the simple life and power. I listened to Dave Ramsey read this on his radio show the other day, and was able to find it on the internet. Haven't verified that this actually happened, but the story goes that one of the colonial Americans, General James Carlton, offered to send a few Native American young men to William and Mary to "improve" and "educate" them, and this was the response they got back from the Chief:

The Indians of the Six Nations to William & Mary College (1744)

Nothing wrong with college, but there are many other kinds of intelligences, and this kind is one that has been completely ignored, but it can certainly give you power.

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information