Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Herniated Discs and Solutions

My 36 year old daughter was an EMT and a stretcher incident lead her to the herniation of the same 2 discs as you.
    So far 2 surgeries,one was a laminectomy,pain continued,becoming more severe depending on activity level.
    2nd surgery was last year,better relief but still having significant pain,next step will be a fusion,neuro is trying to hold out as long as possible due to her age.
    There is one thing to be aware of,the neurosurgeon brought it to light looking at her MRI,its called cauda equina. I believe the discs can compress the spinal column and cause paralysis,apparently the warning signs are incontinence of bladder and bowel.
    Hope your neuro mentioned this,no one we knew had ever heard of it and everyone was running to google it.

Williamsmith
    The more I research, the less I know. The only fact I know is, last resort.....surgery because outcomes are a toss up. So after more than a week removed from the injection of corticosteroid I can report this. The constant ache and pain in my hip, quad and shin are near totally gone. I only feel it when I overdo by lifting or walking too far. The feet still numbness and tingling but I have been relieved to the point that I can get along each day relatively uninterrupted. I also don't feel so subject to cold temperatures. And the legs themselves are stronger. I don't worry as much about my knees buckling.

A second follow up injection scheduled for five days from now.

cauda equina.....that's some scary stuff there. The first week after my injury had some real struggles but eventually I was able to improve but I can totally see losing control of bowel and urine function as an emergency and hope to never worry about that.

Williamsmith
    Returned for a second injection. Repeat of the first. I described my relief from the first injection as 50%or more. I am hoping to experience a total recovery of feeling in my feet. This will assist in manuevering on uneven surfaces and in climbing up and down steps, ladders and inclined planes. I a, also hoping to be able to sleep on my left side without my leg and foot going numb. It has been a challenge getting through the night without waking up with some pain. Hoping this leads to not relying on pain medicine to get back to sleep. All in all, hopeful about the future and recovery.

I'm glad to hear this

Williamsmith
    So it's been two weeks since the second epidural injection of steroids. I am able to go about daily activities with out great pain. No more constant ache with intermittent stabbing pain. But the numbness in the feet is stubborn to leave. Not a lot of activity to do which I could take as a sign things are improving. The weather makes it extremely hard to get out and walk. But generally I feel like I'm making progress. I have to say though, the more people,I talk to the more bad outcomes I have reported. One guy told me after two surgeries and fourteen epidural injections he still has one leg that is numb and takes four Vicodin a day just to bare the pain. I have been off pain meds for a week and am glad of it.

just make sure that you tell the doc that the numbness is still present, that is important for them to know. Glad you are feeling better.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    just make sure that you tell the doc that the numbness is still present, that is important for them to know. Glad you are feeling better.
    Well, finally got in to see the Neurologist. I'm to the point where when anyone new comes into the picture I know I will have a lengthy explanation of how I got in this condition. So after some catching him up on things he got around to an examination. My left foot is obviously weak and dropping a bit. Couldn't do the walk and turn test without falling to my left off balance. He did get reflex though which encouraged me. Diagnosis....drop foot. Scheduled a test called EMG/NCV. Stick pins in your leg and glue wire to you to measure muscle and nerve function and conductivity. I hear it's not comfortable. I haven't bitched and moaned at anyone so news my chance I guess.

I am am beginning to feel like the insurance company and the doctors are conspiring to drag this thing out as long as possible so they can all get a piece of the pie. I can't get a follow up appointment until March 15. Until then, I was sent back to PT.

Off of all pain meds except Tylenol. Finally.

IMHO the EMG for drop foot sounds like a standard plan but not making you wait 6 weeks. I've had one several times, it's not comfortable but not so horrible that you remember it years later and say "never again" or anything.

I have had the same thing...herniation of L4 and L5 after a bad car accident. It is painful, but I got better with Yoga, Chiropractic adjustments, and massage therapy. It does act up when I have been lax in my stretches or work on too many clients without giving myself enough rest, but it is totally manageable.

Williamsmith
    freshstart....thanks for the good news on the testing. The test is tomorrow....the follow up appointment ...in six weeks.

citrine.......I have a trusted chiropractor I have used for many years. I haven't used traditional medicine for about thirty years, save an antibiotic here and there. I am disappointed with the time it is taking for recovery but today i walked three miles ....the longest yet in three months. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thread Information