Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Planners

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Paper calendar, paper financial budget book, paper notebook.....paper paper paper. And a shredder.
    This is exactly what I use (except substitute wood stove for shredder).

I switched to a bullet journal last year and I still love it. I bought a nice hardcover notebook (8.5x11) that lies flat and has a ribbon bookmark included for about $20 to get started, and a second in November when the first was full.

I was was a bit careless with the table of contents, so I need to work on that for max efficiency. I was not always as good at looking at dates as I should have been, so I am working on that. I am definitely continuing, though. I love my book from 2016, which includes everything from meeting notes and project plans from work to knitting patterns, shopping lists and me record of tasks as my brother's executor.

I still ill use an electronic planner at work for meetings (outlook) but that is just for other people's convenience and group scheduling.

For me the bullet journal works as a real planner-- something I use to make plans -- rather than just a scheduler.

I agree about the bullet journal being a real planner. Because I move between 4 offices, not all of which have computer access, I need a paper planner for my plans that I can carry with me. Because I interface with 3 different divisions, I need a computer calendar too, but that doesn't work for me as a planning tool. It is just the best way to keep everyone apprised of what is happening where.

My research that I do at home is also both paper and digital. I use gcal for my calendars, and evernote for project planning and research tracking. But I also brainstorm on paper. Writing seems to unlock different ways of thinking than working on a computer does.
    Mrs. Hermit

Writing seems to unlock different ways of thinking than working on a computer does. Mrs. Hermit, I find this so true. I write in the morning whatever comes into my head and amazed at what this unlocks in my thinking. As cursive writing is deleted from education programs "because we can do everything so faster on an electronic keyboard", I wonder how much innovative thought will be missed.

Re planning - I have to improve, a lot. i use a calendar in my kitchen and usually check it daily but it doesn't remind me in time to schedule a dog walker or train ticket. I am now entering info on my iPhone with the hope that planning will be better. We'll see.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Very interesting reaction. I would have never thought to look at it that way. I'm paper all the way. I also own a smart phone but use it rarely because I find most people's fetish for having them and constantly checking them to be a huge pet peeve, like the guy who walked in front of my car in the parking lot yesterday while texting. I enjoy the act of writing, it also helps me remember better than typing. I can also doodle or clip something else in. I keep them after the year is over and go back and look at them. I hate reading off my phone.

Thread Information