Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas baking?

Christmas baking?

What, if anything, are you baking for Christmas? I'm baking cherry and raisin scones (separate batches), two batches of each so far today. Some are for gifts, some for me, some for fundraising bake sale at church tomorrow. Yum. I've had two of the cherry ones with tea.

Baked my Christmas cakes and Black Buns for Hogmanay and Christmas also my Christmas puddings on Stir up Sunday. Batches of mince pies and sausauge rolls baked and put in the freezer, my steak pies for the Hogmanay feast will be cooked on 28 December.

I used to bake my mother's sugar cookies every year, but since Crisco is verboten these days, I haven't made them in a few years. But they're SO GOOD!

Does anyone have any good substitutions for Crisco in sugar cookies? I don't really want to do margarine either. Butter changes the texture.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Pure lard (might be hard to find) is a much healthier alternative to hydrogenated or industrial seed oils. Also, butter.

I am making a whole foods plant based carrot cake with very low sat fat for Christmas dinner. I am serving it with cashew creme. This is as good as it gets and is healthy. Eating a plant based diet for me if really fun.

Not really a Christmas thing, but am baking a pumpkin pie from scratch - served with whipped cream. Normally, I make pralines but no good pecans this year.

I made my usual caramels for a friend. Then I make a really good granola for extended family gifts. I used to do a lot more baking, but got worn out.
    We'll have a really nice christmas meal (one main dish for us carnivores and one vegan for my DD. For desert I make a vegan tofu chocolate pie, which is super good. DD has her vegan whipped cream and we have the real stuff.
    When I was young, I would bake tons of different cookies at christmas, but like I said, I got worn out.

Williamsmith
    Chocolate chip rugelach. The ones that look like cressoints and utilize softn vanilla ice cream in the recipe. One of those things that your body tells you immediately that they taste really addictively good and are really bad for you.

I made some lemon bars. The crust is homemade shortbread. The filling is like lemon pudding. I use fresh meyer lemons from my tree, and I add extra lemon rind. They're delicious! I plan to make cranberry orange bread, too. Oh, and apple cranberry cobbler.

Geila
    Any chance we could get your recipes for these?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I make a really good granola for extended family gifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    I made some lemon bars. The crust is homemade shortbread. The filling is like lemon pudding. I use fresh meyer lemons from my tree, and I add extra lemon rind.

Thread Information