Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Not trying to be morbid, but I have question about wills and directives.

  1. #31
    rodeosweetheart
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    This sort of thing:

    So like the lumberjacks use? It doesn't have anything to do with across the grain, like the quarter sawn oak--is that a thing?

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    2,758
    having witnessed countless ways to deal with your estate and your crap at end of life, my goal will be to make it painless and I will give the stuff I want my kids or others to have to them well before I die. I can't count how many times I saw absolutely disgusting and horrifying behavior over the estate while the person lie (laid?) dying, devastated over new family riffs just when they are trying to go out in peace. Sisters fighting over a necklace literally over the hospital bed, asking mom who should get it and a fight ensues. Probably a $50 item. I'd like to leave money so that anything they don't want gets hauled off to the appropriate charity or the dump and they don't have to lift a finger. I will never leave anyone with the mess my mom is about to leave us.

    I have to confess I have been without a will since my divorce in '04. I postponed and postponed, knowing that the bulk of my assets are held outside my estate in my retirement vehicles, as is life insurance. But I have significantly more invested in my share of this house, I need to do a will so it doesn't go to probate. But I think I am waiting for DD to turn 18, which would be a year and a few months.

    Since I got sick, I think I will need a trust to protect the assets if I go to a nursing home, God forbid. I've always felt this is morally questionable, though.

  3. #33
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    So like the lumberjacks use? It doesn't have anything to do with across the grain, like the quarter sawn oak--is that a thing?
    Well, the saw's teeth are typically set up in a crosscut fashion, because you use these for felling trees or bucking up logs, and those are all cross-the-grain cuts. You are correct in your observation, a simple handsaw from Home Depot can be a crosscut saw, it doesn't have to be one of the huge ones. The term "crosscut saw" by itself seems to traditionally mean the big guys for dealing with trees/logs.

    You can get these large two-man (or the large one-man) version in rip-saw configuration if you look long and hard - useful for sawing planks out of logs, but they are pretty rare.

    I use them around the property a fair bit, because I'm in no hurry, they are good exercise, they don't make as much noise as a chainsaw, I don't have to worry about fuel and small engine maintenance, and it maintains an obsolete traditional skill. I even have proper saw sharpening and setting tools, which themselves are hard to find these days.

    When the zombies come, though, I'll be set.

  4. #34
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    Since I got sick, I think I will need a trust to protect the assets if I go to a nursing home, God forbid. I've always felt this is morally questionable, though.
    One observation - this trust has made dealing with the estate 10x less of a pain. There's no probate, a couple of forms filed and I was able to pick up the reins of her finances/home maintenance/... within a few days of the death. Skipping probate alone is so well worth it that I would encourage people to look into this.

  5. #35
    rodeosweetheart
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, the saw's teeth are typically set up in a crosscut fashion, because you use these for felling trees or bucking up logs, and those are all cross-the-grain cuts. You are correct in your observation, a simple handsaw from Home Depot can be a crosscut saw, it doesn't have to be one of the huge ones. The term "crosscut saw" by itself seems to traditionally mean the big guys for dealing with trees/logs.

    You can get these large two-man (or the large one-man) version in rip-saw configuration if you look long and hard - useful for sawing planks out of logs, but they are pretty rare.

    I use them around the property a fair bit, because I'm in no hurry, they are good exercise, they don't make as much noise as a chainsaw, I don't have to worry about fuel and small engine maintenance, and it maintains an obsolete traditional skill. I even have proper saw sharpening and setting tools, which themselves are hard to find these days.

    When the zombies come, though, I'll be set.
    Thanks, Bae, that is very cool to learn. It makes sense, about the cross the grain and the logs, of course, now I see!

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    608
    My Dad was concerned about what would happen if (or actually as it happened, when) he died in TN after he and Mom prepaid their funeral expenses with an undertaker in MO. Mom called and found out that the funeral directors have reciprocal agreements and Mom just contacted the guy in MO and he had everything taken care of in TN.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,741
    What BAE shown in his saw image, has always been referred to as a two man pull saw around these parts (or two man tree saw is another term used here). He later corrected that a crosscut saw, can be a smaller saw, and saws such as these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-20-065...s=crosscut+saw

    are common crosscut saws that are found at garage sales regularly, since we use more power tools now. Crosscut saws, have more teeth then RIP saws. In circular saw terms, a 24 tooth blade is a rip blade and a 60 tooth blade, is a crosscut blade; while the common 40 tooth blade is a general combination blade (good characteristics of both, excels at neither).
    This also shows how something can have a proper name, then a common name in parts of the country, that is different in others. Another example, is a worm drive saw, tends to be called a Skill saw on the west coast, and a worm or mag saw here, as sidewinders can/are Skill saws.

    ULTRA, in honesty, this ISN'T a forum item, but something you should consult a LAWYER on. States laws vary and while the executor has legal obligations, that may have different restrictions from state to state (not following them could go from criminal, to best attempt required).
    That doesn't get into the tricks that things like debt collectors will try (even if they are not the deceased's debts/ID theft)

  8. #38
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    10,025
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    ULTRA, in honesty, this ISN'T a forum item, but something you should consult a LAWYER on. States laws vary and while the executor has legal obligations, that may have different restrictions from state to state (not following them could go from criminal, to best attempt required).
    That doesn't get into the tricks that things like debt collectors will try (even if they are not the deceased's debts/ID theft)
    I have a lawyer. I will use him.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    One observation - this trust has made dealing with the estate 10x less of a pain. There's no probate, a couple of forms filed and I was able to pick up the reins of her finances/home maintenance/... within a few days of the death. Skipping probate alone is so well worth it that I would encourage people to look into this.
    good to know, thank you

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •