Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Resolution: Lose Weight.

Resolution: Lose Weight.

Oh, I know, it's the #1 resolution in the country. Still, I'm sick of feeling fat and flabby, and denying myself any clothes I actually like that fit me because I refuse to spend money on a bigger size. I'm resolving to lose 20 pounds this year. Move more and eat less, with a focus on more moving. I need accountability, so I plan to post progress here - in Success Stories! Anyone want to join me?

kib, I don't know how you normally eat, but recently there was a discussion by those of us who have tried going carb-free. I've never been a fan of Atkins, and I'm slow to the Paleo craze, because of my largely vegetarian diet, but last July I stopped eating simple carbohydrates and I lost 20 lbs. within 3.5 months last year by just doing that. What's more, I did not feel deprived or hungry in the process.

I am now pretty satisfied with my weight. My DD bought me a sweater/jacket from Banana Republic for Christmas in my typical size (medium) and it swam on me--I wound up exchanging it for an XS (I do have to say that they ran large, but still).

Good luck!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sounds good to me, Rodeosweetheart.

Catherine, wow, good for you! I remember wearing tiny clothes, it was lovely. I was all about low carbing it about 5 years ago and it worked very well, but gradually ... well, you know. Gradually. Sloooowly I turned, chip by chip, pound by pound ... Trimming carbs is probably where I will start with the food-related part of this, since it was effective. After tonight's chocolate tart and champagne, of course.

Williamsmith
    If you don't mind, I would like to lose another 10 -15 lbs. Last year I came down from 230 to 185. Over the holidays and with my back issue I have eaten more and exercised less. So I'm back to 195. I would like to sit at 180 as all my clothing is very comfortable at that weight.

It it will have to be focusing mostly on eating less.......and sugar is my weakness. The empty calories just put on unecessary flab. I have been shipping out all the extra cookies and chocolate wih every one that visits. Now tomorrow I have an ice cream cake for my sons birthday. Just one small piece and then I will get on the wagon.

rodeosweetheart
    I like that tomorrow is the start of a new year. Great time to do this. I am not sure what I am doing yet, but it may involve wheat-free, since that is what my allergist said to do.

I have more to lose than you guys; I am aiming at 65 pounds less, as that is what I weighed 17 years ago when I got married to Husband number two, who is an excellent cook. (Not blaming him, just saying it is harder when you live with someone who has the metabolism of a whippet and thinks about food all day long.) But I can do this!

I will make a big effort to do this. I had thought to lose 5 a year and did that, but last year I lost nothing...so need to focus. I had set 20 as a reasonable amount in a year. I'm at 202 now so that would put me around 180 which I managed many years ago...Fortunately I am healthy, no issues due to my "roundness", but that contributes to apathy about losing more. But, I think my best bet is limiting carbs. I am convinced that the alcoholic gene and carb gene are related...the people in my family who are not alcoholic or recovering are fat! All craving and indulging in carbs.

I've lost about forty pounds over the last few years without beating myself up or starving myself. I'm accountable only to my Fitday PC app, but I'd be happy to provide support. I might try another Whole 30 in January.

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    it is harder when you live with someone who has the metabolism of a whippet and thinks about food all day long.)
    Ha! Love this!

My goal for 2015 was to maintain....but I failed and gained some. Will work on that in 2016!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'm in too. It helps to have the accountability. fwiw, I have a co-worker who is a middle-aged male and who lost 35 lbs over a year by eliminating only 2 things: bread and cheese.

Yessss I am here with you all...I weigh in at a TOPS meeting on Tue evenings but maybe one more support group will help

I have lost 25 lbs over the last couple of years but, as of two weeks ago I still needed to lose 12 lbs
    the bad part like I am sure too many people it is now as of this morning 15 lbs.
    I like your method rodeosweetheart of 0/15.

I lost the rest of the weight by eating better and less sugar, less meat and fat but adding (more veggies, whole grains, lentils, beans)
    What I don't do is get regular exercise so my plan is to accept that I need that to lose the last 15lb.
    Plan is to do some walking, 1 to 2 aqua fit classes a week and turn of the music instead of the TV...that always makes me move...lol

Best wishes for a Healthy 2016 everyone!

Thread Information