Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Resolution: Lose Weight.

I have to say that the single most helpful thing I do when I'm actively trying to lose weight is to log my food in Fitday. It seems to make the difference between losing and maintaining.

As far as carb count goes, Fitday says I'm at 73g carbs 13g fiber, on average.

A year ago I set out to lose 35lbs. I bought a fitbit and made sure I walked `10,000/steps/day and made sure 30 minutes were fast. If by the end of the day I didn't have enough steps I ran in place in the living room while I watched TV. I also only ate 16oo calories a day so I was at a 600 calorie deficit everyday except for my 1 cheat day. On that day I still walked but ate what I wanted. In 10 months I lost the weight. When I was young I could lose it in a few months but at 61 it took time. I weighed myself daily but that was a personal choice-it really does matter. Good luck to everyone

Interesting article in today's paper about daily weigh-ins being most effective. College freshmen who did this avoided gaining the 5 lbs that their non daily weigh-in classmates did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Interesting article in today's paper about daily weigh-ins being most effective. College freshmen who did this avoided gaining the 5 lbs that their non daily weigh-in classmates did.
    That's interesting because I just read one the other day which stated daily is too much, bordering on obsession, that once weekly is optimum.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yesterday I went to a health and fitness fair at my hometown. I participated in a PhatHoops class and committed to a 30-day hooping challenge (this is hula-hooping, basically, with fitness [weighted] hoops). I have two at home. They claim that others who've finished the challenge have trimmed anywhere from 1-4 inches from their waistlines.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I may weigh in more often, I'm just making a promise to record it here once a week. For me, while I'm trying to lose I'm very conscious about what I'm eating, and when I have a day where I have unfathomably "gained" two pounds, no matter how much I know that's not real it gets to me, it's just one more little thing that did not go well. I do think that weighing in often after I'm in maintenance mode is a good idea, because that's when my diet and exercise ceases to be a focus.

rodeosweetheart
    I am going with everyday with the same caveat as kib, but we did order a better scale, and i may need to reset my numbers once it arrives. It also has body fat so I will monitor that, too.

Not sure WHAT I am doing with the food, other than just trying to eat less and move more, during week 1.

I weigh myself every few days; that seems to be my happy medium.

For me there is a social component to it, but the older I get the less I care what I look like, the 'hottie' ship sailed a few years back. But I really don't like the way I feel, physically, when I'm over my comfortable weight. I hate it when I sit down and my thighs touch each other no matter how far apart my feet are. I hate it when I'm lying on my side and my belly is lying there like a cat curled up next to me. I hate it when the sleeves of a blouse I love are suddenly strangling my upper arms. If this were my natural shape I guess I would embrace these parts of me, but I know what my normal feels like, and that isn't it.

Conversely, when I feel like I'm mostly muscle, not only without all those extra squishy parts but actually strong and firm, that feels really good. Like the old AA prayer says, I'm changing the things I can.

I'm not going to be deterred by someone who says "you know, you don't have to do this". Of course I don't have to, but I want to, and I'm pleased that I do. Making change and staying motivated is hard enough in the face of real-life critics of one's goals, so please, positive support here! TIA.

Thread Information