Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 what films are you watching?

I streamed The Cobbler on Netflix last night. Mixed bag, I loved the premise, about a cobbler who discovers he can "become" (i.e. look identical to) his customers if he wears their shoes after he repairs them on a special stitching machine. The shenanigans he gets into are silly and far fetched and the basic plot has some severe holes, but overall I preferred it to the endless parade of super heroes and secret agents and "serious" zombie movies abounding recently. Lots of star power, I wish it had been better.

thanks, that sounds good

huh, it must be really good or Netflix can read my mind because I went to put it in my queue and it already filled my screen with a promo for it

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    "Carol" - lush cinematography, beautiful acting, slow pacing, about life as a gay person in 1952. A nice change of pace from the normal movie of explosions and killings.
    i just came back from seeing this. It was a beautiful film with a pretty score. I liked it more than I Expected to like it.

There are plenty of films without explosions and killings.
    Last edited by iris lily; 4-19-16 at 7:57pm.

We saw Bridge of Spies, and other than Mark Rylance's performance as an odd duck Russian spy, it was nothing great. Im mad that this received an Oscar nomination and Carol did not.

bRidge of Spies was a Tom Hanks/Stephen Spielberg film with all of their usual stuff and thw score was so annoyingly predictible that it took me out of the film. DH, of course, was all choked up as he always is in a Hanks film. When the music swells, signalling a big emo moment, DH gts teary and I get cranky at being manipulated.
    Last edited by iris lily; 4-19-16 at 7:56pm.

Williamsmith
    "Daddy's Home". It was Tuesday night cheap movie night and we settled for a movie we knew wouldn't need much cerebral thinking to follow. Every spinoff on things that happen to a step dad when the ex comes back into the scene and he's trying to win back the kids and the mothers affections. Borders on stupid sometimes but There were a few good laughs.

Last night TMC had "From Here to Eternity" on. 1953 Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Frank Sinatra, Deborha Kerr, Donna Reed, Ernest Borgnine, Claude Akins, George Reeves, Merle Travis.

Never saw the complete movie before....of course the iconic beach scene with Lancaster lying on top of Deborha Kerr. Black and white film that proves you don't have to see the action to be an effective film. Lots of reading between the lines and suggestive action.

I've been watching the recent mini-series, Show Me a Hero. It was written by David Simon of The Wire fame, and based on a non-fiction account of local NY politics in the 1980's. Not the Hollywood style excitement of The Wire, but top of the line docudrama entertainment.

DH and I watched "Bridge of Spies" last night. Thought it was pretty good. It stars Tom Hanks and is about his involvement as an attorney in trading an American pilot captured by the soviets for a russian spy. We enjoyed it. It was based on the real-life prisoner swap in l962 of Francis Gary Powers.

rodeosweetheart
    Just got back from Where Do We Invade next, since we missed the premiere party.

Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!

Williamsmith
    Dirty Grandpa.........the title says it all. Vulgar. I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I've been watching the recent mini-series, Show Me a Hero. It was written by David Simon of The Wire fame, and based on a non-fiction account of local NY politics in the 1980's. Not the Hollywood style excitement of The Wire, but top of the line docudrama entertainment.
    This is getting great reviews. Ill wqtch it when it becomes available on dvd or perhaps on Netflix streaming at the home of my friend.

Thread Information