Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: January 2016 Frugals

Quote Originally Posted by cdttmm View Post
    Went to Target... now I'm feeling like I need to add Target to the list of places I need to scope out while making my price book. .
    The save 5% Target card, stacked with an extra 5% RX Reward day really works for me. Target RX has my med at the lowest price and the 5% bonus every couple months is nice. It's the only day I shop at Target and stock up. Even some of the food items end up lower than the grocery store and every now and then they have my favorite Gelato at 2/$5 instead of the grocery store's $4.98 each. Coffee has been another good deal with sales. There are usually a lot of kick-back coupons printed at the check out register so sometimes I'll take my stuff to the car and go right back in to use those coupons (coffee ones especially) and the 5% RX reward is good all day so I can still stack the 5% reward with the 5% card on same-day trips. Then I pay off the charges on-line and don't go back to Target until the next 5% RX certificate comes in the mail. People with the Cartwheel App can save even more but I don't have a smart phone. Target also runs a lot of coupons on-line that you can load in your phone or print. There is usually always a save 20% on household items which would of stacked nicely on your muffin-tin purchase.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Early: I'm a big fan of the credit card rewards and I like to "churn" for the new card rewards. I opened 3 new accounts yesterday, and we'll get a combined total of $650 once we spend $2000 in 3 months. That should be easily accomplished with gas, groceries and household basics.
    I do this too but then I'm unsure what to do with the card after I've gotten what I wanted from it, i.e.: I always have a 15mos no interest card to have on hand for an emergency that has yet to happen, I just feel better having one. But then I don't cancel it at 15 mos and continue using my Discover because the rewards suit me. Do you close yours when the next good deal comes along?

Freshstart: I should probably close some of them, but so far I've only closed those ones for which an annual fee was going to kick in.

I'm feeling like I need to add Target to the list of places I need to scope out while making my price book. Ugh. Making a price book is not feeling like simple living to me at all! I so wish I could just shop at one store and get the best prices and the quality of items that we want. I feel like I need to rethink my whole shopping strategy.
    Just as you said about your property tax payment, time is money and convenience has its cost. Personally, I find it simpler to just get a few items at a less-than-optimal store rather than make another trip (which not only takes more time but, often, more fuel or additional fares). For instance, if we run out of aluminum foil and I know I can't wait till I make a run to Target or another discount store, I'll pick it up at the co-op. It's not the cheapest there, but if I start calculating the time and the thimbles of fuel it will take to buy elsewhere, it's just easier to buy it the once and be done. But we have the luxury of being able to "over-spend" for lower-priced items. And my tune would change if I were being charged $50+ to make a $1200 tax payment. For $50 I can go out of my way.

People seem to hate on Whole Foods because of their higher prices, but I've found they've got the best prices for more than a dozen things we buy regularly.
    Their house brand and bulk sales often are very good deals. Part of the "Whole Paycheck" perception, I think, is what they're selling.

Vegan dog biscuits made with extra-virgin organic coconut oil and hand-patted in the shape of a Scottie in a solar-powered American artisan shop by people earning a living wage and benefits is going to cost more than Milk-Bonz at Wally World. Trucking and selling organic produce from half a world away costs money, too. Not to poke at WF; I likely would be a far bigger WF fan if the Twin Cities were not so well-served by food co-ops and better grocery stores. It's just that labor-intensive foods can't be "cheap" if one cares much about the ingredients and production.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Re Target and other stores: CouponMom.com is always worth checking once a week. She matches and lists coupons/Ibotta/etc. to deals. Registration is free. There is also the ability to search a product and see if anyone has a sale on it this week.

I agree that sometimes it's not worth an extra trip to save a few cents.

Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate you all? (((HUGS)))

Hugs to you too, MM!
    Cdttmm: When I went to the town website to pay my property tax a few years ago, I was dismayed to see a couple of online options that would cost me money. The town hall is within shouting distance and they have an outdoor mailbox for town payments (RE tax, excise and water), so I usually would just write a check and drop it in the box, saving a stamp. I've more recently found I can just do an online payment from my checking account. I believe they send an actual check to the town. I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and it seems to work just fine, with no cost or inconvenience to us at all. I just go to my online checking and originate the activity there, and I don't interact with the town's online payment system at all.

Jan 31/16 last day of this first month of 2016 Yes, MM this is a great thread keeps me thinking and so glad you are all here!!
    I have got rid of 97 items this month to recycling/garage/give away and the other things I have done while decluttering this month are:
    --Hang 4 pictures I love and that remind me of very special people (they were stuck in a closet)
    I have hang them in places I can see them and enjoy them. Not out of the house but being honoured and enjoyed.
    Not necessarily frugal but, makes me love my surroundings which I believe keeps me at home and out of the stores.
    --Took 6 pair of really good quality knee socks that were too tight at the top and cut them down to ankle socks.
    They feel good and did not unravel. So again not out of the house but being used up.

Weird, wonky day. It was storming so I popped a bag of free popcorn I got at that exercise event last week and planned to settle in with the Clipper game. Then our power went out.

Plan B, go to a free pre-release screening. Packed my snacks and headed out. I got in BUT then didn't pass security because I had my cell phone. (Some are more restrictive than others; they fear recording.) Well, I'm OK being turned away. Went back to the house. Still no power. No power, no cooking.

Landlord handed me a NY Times delivered by mistake and I'm having a late dinner at Del Taco while reading it.Two burritos, chicken taco and tea for $2.94.

Wonky day. Hoping tomorrow is better.

[Moved to February frugals thread]
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information