Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I am now obese.

I'd beware of labels like "obese." I remember at a health fair at work a few years back I overheard a nurse telling a friend of mine, "You're overweight." This guy spent an hour a day in the gym lifting weights and was six foot two of solid muscle. She was looking at a chart that told what his weight "should" be.

I no longer weigh myself. Instead, I strive to be as healthy as possible at the low end of my set point, which is in the 220-230 lb. range (I'm 5'10"). I know from long experience with diets that a) any diet that would get me to my "ideal" weight of about 175 lbs. would mean being hungry all the time, and b) I'd gain back any significant weight loss eventually. If you are among the one in 20 who can lose a large amount of weight and keep it off for more than two years, more power to you. I've accepted that I'm not one of those people.

Instead, I exercise as much as I can and try to eat as well as I can. I think that's the most sane approach. My advice would be to do those two things and throw the scale away.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    I'd beware of labels like "obese." I remember at a health fair at work a few years back I overheard a nurse telling a friend of mine, "You're overweight." This guy spent an hour a day in the gym lifting weights and was six foot two of solid muscle. She was looking at a chart that told what his weight "should" be.

I no longer weigh myself. Instead, I strive to be as healthy as possible at the low end of my set point, which is in the 220-230 lb. range (I'm 5'10"). I know from long experience with diets that a) any diet that would get me to my "ideal" weight of about 175 lbs. would mean being hungry all the time, and b) I'd gain back any significant weight loss eventually. If you are among the one in 20 who can lose a large amount of weight and keep it off for more than two years, more power to you. I've accepted that I'm not one of those people.

Instead, I exercise as much as I can and try to eat as well as I can. I think that's the most sane approach. My advice would be to do those two things and throw the scale away.
    I appreciate your insights here.

My problem with working out is that if I work for a living (which I do) and then I work out when do I have time for things I enjoy? Especially if this means my willpower and grit are depleted from sticking to eating healthy and going to the gym...

I fully expect hunger to be my constant companion.

If you're going to be using a cpap machine, you might more easily begin to lose weight. Sleep apnea causes increased cortisol production which can increase appetite.

Good points.

We'll see. I might end up using one. But it depends on my fatness level and how the sleep study goes.

Whatever changes you make to lose weight should be ones you can make long term to keep the weight off. I lost 25lbs in 2008 and have easily maintained that loss since.

I did NOT need to exercise to lose weight. I don't like it and there is no way I would ever maintain that kind of activity after I lost the weight so I never did it.

However, I do keep active, no car helps. Short hikes, taking stairs where possible, etc.

To stay within the calorie allotment for the day, I found that the more nutritionally dense the food I ate, the less hungry I was. I still ate everything I wanted to eat, just in more reasonable portions to stay within the calorie allotment. Remember, these are the foods I would need to maintain forever to stay at the correct weight. I like chocolate and figured out how much I could reasonably eat and still lose/maintain my weight loss. So I really learned a lot about reasonable portion sizes also.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiana View Post
    Whatever changes you make to lose weight should be ones you can make long term to keep the weight off. I lost 25lbs in 2008 and have easily maintained that loss since.

I did NOT need to exercise to lose weight. I don't like it and there is no way I would ever maintain that kind of activity after I lost the weight so I never did it.

However, I do keep active, no car helps. Short hikes, taking stairs where possible, etc.

To stay within the calorie allotment for the day, I found that the more nutritionally dense the food I ate, the less hungry I was. I still ate everything I wanted to eat, just in more reasonable portions to stay within the calorie allotment. Remember, these are the foods I would need to maintain forever to stay at the correct weight. I like chocolate and figured out how much I could reasonably eat and still lose/maintain my weight loss. So I really learned a lot about reasonable portion sizes also.

Good Luck!
    Thanks!

Portion size is difficult for me. There is no "shut-off" button in my brain that tells me I have had enough.

I agree that long term is the key. I want to make changes that I can live with for the remainder of my life.

That is a lot to expect from someone who won't eat veggies or give up bread!

You say you won't/don't eat veggies. How long has it been since you tried a new recipe or even researched how you might try out some ways of incorporating them into your diet? Seriously, you don't have to only eat salads. And if your idea of veggies is overcooked, limp or canned ones, you are so limiting yourself!

Did your doctor recommend seeing a dietitian?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    That is a lot to expect from someone who won't eat veggies or give up bread!

You say you won't/don't eat veggies. How long has it been since you tried a new recipe or even researched how you might try out some ways of incorporating them into your diet? Seriously, you don't have to only eat salads. And if your idea of veggies is overcooked, limp or canned ones, you are so limiting yourself!

Did your doctor recommend seeing a dietitian?
    It is not as bad as I play it. haha

I eat veggie soup (with bread!) and celery sticks. I like veggie curries and masalas.

I know what I need to eat. I know how much too.

But it makes my life appear bleak to do so.

Agreed that these measures are just an indication.

DH is short, has a big frame with big shoulders and thick legs with muscle. At the moment he's carrying some gut, not a lot, but he is "obese" on the charts. If they did a real BMI test, he likely would test out of "obese."

I would love to be obese by his measures, a lot of muscle and a bit of fat.

Hey I follow a plant based diet and it has done me the world of good. Happy to help you if you choose this.

Thread Information