Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone have a casita scamp trailer or something similar?

rodeosweetheart
    Greg, the lightness intrigues me. I had not realized there was anything you could pull with a motorcycle. Kib, you are right, we could pull something heavier but I like the classice shapes-so would like a smaller Airstream if not the Scamp--I need to get my husband discussing the towing since he'll be driving it and not I. He used to drive a big rig so nothing scares him, but I'd like to get something little so that maybe someday I could get the nerve to drive it. But yeah, we could get something bigger, and I like what you linked, and had not thought about it.

Whatever we do it will be used to keep price down. But Kib, that thing is pretty inside, and it looks so "brand new" so nothing would need to be fixed. Maybe I ought to include these in the mix.

rodeosweetheart, that one is brand new. But a lot of people sell travel trailers that are very lightly used (it's a lot easier to find the boring squarish ones than the scamps and casitas), I looked at a 14' 2012 that was just lovely inside and they were asking $7,000 for it at a dealer. Almost considered trading the car so I could tow it, my tow capacity is about 1500 pounds and the one I was looking at was about 2600. I agree that the round ones are a lot cuter, but the older fiberglass trailers I've seen are all, uh, well worn, and the old bambi airstream ... sigh. The last one I saw, they wanted $26,000 for it. Now that one, I could love like a pet.

ETA: I've been passionate about finding a traveling house for a long time, and finally settled on a class B van. On the downside it's another vehicle to insure and maintain, but I really really like having everything under one roof when I travel. If I were going fulltime I think it would be different, I'd want a vehicle I could detach for day trips, but at the moment this fits my needs better.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    rodeosweetheart, that one is brand new. But a lot of people sell travel trailers that are very lightly used (it's a lot easier to find the boring squarish ones than the scamps and casitas), I looked at a 14' 2012 that was just lovely inside and they were asking $7,000 for it at a dealer. Almost considered trading the car so I could tow it, my tow capacity is about 1500 pounds and the one I was looking at was about 2600. I agree that the round ones are a lot cuter, but the older fiberglass trailers I've seen are all, uh, well worn, and the old bambi airstream ... sigh. The last one I saw, they wanted $26,000 for it. Now that one, I could love like a pet.

ETA: I've been passionate about finding a traveling house for a long time, and finally settled on a class B van. On the downside it's another vehicle to insure and maintain, but I really really like having everything under one roof when I travel. If I were going fulltime I think it would be different, I'd want a vehicle I could detach for day trips, but at the moment this fits my needs better.
    I know, we go back and forth on the traveling house/pull along trailer--we looked at a couple of cool Minnie Winnie type of old trucks but they were SO old--then this Yukon came along that my husband decided on.

The other great thing about the Bambi or the 23 foot airstreams is that we could use it as a guest cottage. We were thinking of getting one to do Air Bn B with in SC, or maybe get one and leave it at my parents' so that all the kids and their dogs could come and have a place when they visit.

But we have kids in 3 different parts of the country, and it would be good to be able to throw the furry kids in the truck and go, if need be.

At one point we were going to buy a Tear Drop-cute, small, etc. Thank goodness we decided to lay down in one. It was like being in a coffin.Then some friends were selling their 27 ft motorhome with low miles-37,000 and low price because it was a 1993. There are some really good deals out there. It also was like new in the inside. Many people buy them and don't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Over the past several years I've been considering light weight camper trailers capable of being towed by my motorcycle. There are several models that are small/light enough to be towed by just about any vehicle here: http://www.easyridercamper.com/Models.html
    Would this replace your bigger RV?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Would this replace your bigger RV?
    No, I went over this here a while back, probably before your time. I'll be retiring in a couple of years and our plan is to spend a good portion of each year out in the motorhome. The small trailer I've been lusting after would be for those times we wanted to take off on the motorcycle for extended cross-country trips such as Yellowstone or Glacier National Park. My wife says she's up for the adventure as long as we can stay in a motel every 3rd or 4th day.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    No, I went over this here a while back, probably before your time. I'll be retiring in a couple of years and our plan is to spend a good portion of each year out in the motorhome. The small trailer I've been lusting after would be for those times we wanted to take off on the motorcycle for extended cross-country trips such as Yellowstone or Glacier National Park. My wife says she's up for the adventure as long as we can stay in a motel every 3rd or 4th day.
    Cool plan!

But what about a bathroom??

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    But what about a bathroom??
    I'm not shy....and my wife isn't too averse to rest areas, plus all overnights would probably be in State or National Parks with the occasional private campground thrown in. The facilities at those places aren't luxurious, but they'll do.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Box stores and fast food joints also usually have clean safe bathrooms. Sometimes I buy something there, sometimes not, I figure one Whopper sandwich is good for about 10 toilet flushes.

Thread Information