Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you brush your pet?

Geila

How often do you brush your pet?

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed related to cleaning...

For you fellow pet owners out there, how often do you actually brush your pets? I know we're told to do it a lot - some articles even say every day. But between the walking of the dogs, the feeding of all the pets, the daily pick up and cleaning of their poop & litter boxes, playing with them, cuddling them, etc... I just can't see brushing them more than once a week at most. Truthfully, I go longer than that.

I have a boxer, a mini poodle, and two young cats. The poodle doesn't shed, but I bathe him once a week because he sleeps with me and give him a haircut every 6 weeks or so; the boxer is very easy to groom and doesn't shed much, she gets bathed every 3 weeks or so. I don't bathe the cats and they seem to need the most brushing as they do shed a lot. Not sure if it's age or just the fur type, they're both short-haired. My boxer did shed a lot when she shed her puppy coat at about the same age as the cats are now - appx 9-10 months old.

I'm thinking I might need to put the cats on a brushing routine.

The cat...never except a little during spring shedding time. She'd probably kill me otherwise.
    The dog....maybe twice a year. He's some sort of medium-hair rough coat terrier that doesn't shed much. When I bathe him it's towel dry and go.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I keep my 3 Maltese in a puppy cut so nothing really to brush. I bathe them monthly and get them groomed ever 2 months. I brush my big guy every few weeks and bathe him a few times/year. In warm weather he swims all the time which I am sure helps.

My dog brushes himself.

I want video proof

If I don't brush the cats, then I have to brush the couch. And the carpet. And the bed. And basically all the rest of the furniture and the blinds and windowsills. I know this. But I still don't do it as often as I should - basically when the rest of the house drives me too nuts, I brush Everything, including the cats; maybe every 2 weeks.

I never brush the (indoor/outdoor) cat. I should brush the (outdoor) fiber rabbit every few days, but she's lucky if it's once a week.

We have our longhair cat shaved 2 or 3 times a year.

the dog-- I brush him during the worst of shedding seasons. I got a free "Furminator" for the asking, and
    I,like it a lot. It is a sturdy comb, basically.

Bernice quakes in fear when the brush comes out, so never, except when she gets groomed and they do it, she doesn't get groomed often, when better I can bathe her here.

Buddy is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel with a gorgeous red flowing coat. We have relentless prickers in our grass that will not die and they attach to his coat. So he gets shaved down because the only way to get them out is to cut his hair and they hurt. Once shaved I don't brush him, i suppose I should.

I do have one of those Fulminators, too. That trims the undercoat and thins the hair. We have not that much shedding anyway but if I faithfully use this gadget, we have none. But won't do it to Bernice.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    Bernice quakes in fear when the brush comes out, so never, except when she gets groomed and they do it, she doesn't get groomed often, when better I can bathe her here.

Buddy is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel with a gorgeous red flowing coat. We have relentless prickers in our grass that will not die and they attach to his coat. So he gets shaved down because the only way to get them out is to cut his hair and they hurt. Once shaved I don't brush him, i suppose I should.

I do have one of those Fulminators, too. That trims the undercoat and thins the hair. We have not that much shedding anyway but if I faithfully use this gadget, we have none. But won't do it to Bernice.
    Furminators were manufactured and sold from St. Louis, I worked with the former head of Marketing, so I sidled up to her one day and asked if she had nay extras lying around her basement. She did! And she gave me one.

Theodore H. Bear, aka Teddy Bear, aka Bozo, loves his furminating sessions.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-11-16 at 6:56pm.

Thread Information