Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Questions about Alzheimer's Disease

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    A dominant theory, or the theory du jour?
    I guess that remains to be seen, but it seems to be gaining ground.

The thing is, you have nothing to lose by maintaining tight control of your insulin/blood sugar, as doing so will likely prevent diabetes and all the complications that come with it.

I wonder if that's related to another headline I saw recently that intermittent fasting helps brain health. I didn't read the details, but it makes sense that modern humans who are not as physical as even a generation ago may not need to eat 3 meals a day/7/365.

it's amazing the things they find, like the ancient diabetes drug, metformin, may prevent or help treat cancer. It also being given to people at high risk for diabetes with the thought it may prevent diabetes.

I take it because I gained weight from an anti-depressant that kills me with unbelievable carb cravings, so I was put on it to prevent diabetes (strong family hx) and to help lose wt. That last part isn't working but I've been on one of these types of drugs for over 10yrs, have gained a disgusting amt of weight but my blood sugars and A1Cs have stayed normal. And I totally believe it's because metformin is preventing the diabetes.

imagine the ramifications for cancer, it bogles my mind

Some researchers (eg. Thomas Seyfried) see cancer as a metabolic disease, involving the mitochondria. Seyfried promotes a ketogenic diet, which is also said to be useful for Alzheimer's. Every time I think of Alzheimer's, I think of Ronald Reagan and his jelly beans.

I just wanted to update everyone that her Neuro Doc prescribed a pill to stop the pacing and if not working within a week then they will give her 2/day. She continues to lose weight. Also just found out that her ovarian cancer is back for the 8th time. We will not treat but provide palliative care. I am glad that she won't be one of those unfortunate people that suffer with Alzheimer's for decades.

I'm glad and sad for her at the same time. The 8th time with a side of dementia? the universe is cruel

The universe is preparing her to leave about the same time as her beloved husband. That seems like a gift to me.

that is true

Williamsmith
    My mother is an ovarian cancer survivor as well as colon cancer......her mind is still very clear but her sister is now in an Alzheimer's unit. The massive doses of chemotherapy made her feet numb but she still has her life, restricted as it is. Her surgeon of 15 years and four serious surgeries recently hugged her and told her she was a miracle.

WS: your Mom is a miracle. One doctor told me that all the rounds of chemo my friend had contributed to her getting dementia so young. Jane: I agree it is a blessing. The thought of her suffering for years in that home was horrifying. So glad she and her hubby will go together. They are both wonderful, kind people.

Thread Information