Page 73 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Trumps: White Angry Middleclass

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Apparently, many American businesses appreciate the financial benefits of Mexico. American dollars seem to go a long way. Rob is doing what any good capitalist would.
    Funny you should put it this way. I went to my 30th high school reunion over a year ago and I ran into some moneyed people I hadn't seen in years. I'm in touch with one of them who finds my political views fascinating. This woman pointed out to me that fleeing to Mexico for health and dental care is extreme capitalism at work......no different from Wall Street forcing a company to offshore to boost short term profits.

I didn't agree as I believe health care is a basic human right (I was 9 when I realized this) but.......this person from my past has a point. There is some joy for me in crossing the border for this - it's so human and empowering to do so. And it is capitalism at work in the sense that my health care dollars are going towards the best deal which America for many reasons can not and will not offer me.

So.....I guess my crossing the border is very capitalistic in a way......but I still see this as accessing basic human rights. Certainly I have no loyalty to the economic terrorism that is American health care - it's only common sense that someone in my position will offshore under these economic conditions. If that makes me capitalistic, so be it. I laugh all the way to the credit union with the money I've saved and the high quality of care. Rob

Interesting, too, that apparently some U.S. health care plans allow, and even encourage, "medical tourism." If your knee replacement is cheaper outside the U.S., they will also pay for the travel costs and still come out ahead cost-wise.

And as a fellow Arizonan I'm glad to see my taxes being put to good use for those who need it.

Many people from border states get their health care in Mexico. I had a friend that went to Thailand for 2 weeks for dental work. INcluding plane ticket etc she spent 16k on something that would have cost 33k here. I really thought about doing that when I needed 33k dental care recently but decided that if things went wrong it might be impossible to get recourse in another country.

My uncle was going to mexico for hisa prescription drugs decades ago because they were cheaper over the counter than they were inCalifornia. This not anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    My uncle was going to mexico for hisa prescription drugs decades ago because they were cheaper over the counter than they were inCalifornia. This not anything new.
    I'm so glad he was able to be human and empowering back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I'm so glad he was able to be human and empowering back in the day.
    Thank You, IL. I would change the word to empowered instead though. Rob

I imagine for my uncle it was just a rational decision on how to spend his money efficiently. He already loved going to Mexico because he enjoyed traveling around and meeting people and he felt that Mexicans were generally a friendly, cool group of people overall. Being able to save a buck or two was just a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    So.....I guess my crossing the border is very capitalistic in a way......but I still see this as accessing basic human rights. Certainly I have no loyalty to the economic terrorism that is American health care - it's only common sense that someone in my position will offshore under these economic conditions. If that makes me capitalistic, so be it. I laugh all the way to the credit union with the money I've saved and the high quality of care. Rob
    Of course you're a capitalist, and not just "in a way". You off-shore some services to reduce costs and increase your net worth. You're no less a part of globalization, ethically and practically, than any corporate CEO doing the same thing. You don't need to absolve yourself with talk about "economic terrorism" or "basic human rights".

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Of course you're a capitalist, and not just "in a way". You off-shore some services to reduce costs and increase your net worth. You're no less a part of globalization, ethically and practically, than any corporate CEO doing the same thing. You don't need to absolve yourself with talk about "economic terrorism" or "basic human rights".
    If only I were as well off as your post seems to assume? Crossing the border for health care has nothing to do with increasing my net worth.....I am off Medicaid and on ObamaCare now and to afford health care America forces me at economic gunpoint to flee to Mexico to access health care. I'm certainly not the only one either.

As to basic human rights - I believe access to health care is a basic human right....One that is not affordable for many in the US. Of cource I'm going to see crossing the border and accessing Mexican health care as a vehicle towards meeting basic human rights. And yes, America has sunk to where this is a sane, logical, common sense reply. Price me out of access to health care, why wouldn't I be completely disengaged from America? Though to be honest if I were ever middle class I'd still cross the border for health care. Too much distrust for too many years.....it's just so much easier and saner to offshore to Mexico, and I'm glad to see more better dressed US citizens across the border these days who have reached similar conclusions.

But for me, crossing that border will always be about accessing basic human rights and now that I have high Co pays and deductibles, of course I will see American health care as economic terrorism. What sane person who has comparison shopped their citizenship would not see US health care in this way? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    If only I were as well off as your post seems to assume? Crossing the border for health care has nothing to do with increasing my net worth.....I am off Medicaid and on ObamaCare now and to afford health care America forces me at economic gunpoint to flee to Mexico to access health care. I'm certainly not the only one either.
    Whenever they say it's not about the money, it is. You exploited cost differences between two markets and "laughed all the way to the credit union". Any profit-maximizing corporation would do the same. You don't need to dress up the decision with aggrieved rhetoric about the horror of life in America.

Thread Information