Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: free tax prep

free tax prep

The United Way offers free tax prep for anyone who made less than 54k, there are other restrictions, like if you own a farm, but not many applicable to the average bear. The lines opened today, you call 211 and they set you up. I was good to go but you have to bring an original SS card and when I went to where I have always kept it, of course it was not there. And of course I have no memory of using it in the past year or more. So I don't go until March to give me time to get a new card. You also need photo ID and last year's return and anything that proves things you are going to claim.

I figure this gives me time to do a trial run on free Turbo tax and then see if the tax preparer does the same thing

I keep thinking one of these years I should try an accountant to be absolutely certain I've got it all right, but it's sort of like going to the Dr. - do I really want to know?

I hear you, this will be my hardest one ever because I forgot to have taxes taken out of my disability, by the time I remembered I think it was Dec. I have medical expenses to deduct and some of that is confusing. For the first time ever, I will owe and I'm scared about how much. So this is a good year to let them do it and keep my head in the sand.

Williamsmith
    Last year I got blind sided losing several deductibles and not making an income adjustment for it. Got hammered with a big tax owing. I made some adjustment and I hope it comes out better. I use an accountant because I have already gotten a letter relative an audit in the past and I would prefer the IRS not even know I exist. My local library has a free tax preparation program. I had not heard of the United Way program. Will suggest it to my son who would certainly appreciate it.

I would love love to see the IRS become unecessary. Just hit me with a straight out percentage and make it fair.....I all for it.

Anyone know any free tax computer programs, mine is an easy file, no deductibles etc.. TIA

I've been using TaxAct for a few years. If you can file a 1040EZ, it's free, otherwise $10 for a basic return and $15 for slightly more complex, $20 for their premium package. The free one includes a free state return, the others cost $15 for the state return. This is more expensive than it has been, I'm thinking there might be a better bargain out there.

I hire a Republican to do my taxes. Costs $50.

Saw that if one files 1040EZ or 1040A that they could file free through TurboTax.
    I didn't check but I think one still needs to pay if they are filing state taxes?

I have two questions about accountants:

1. how do they set their fees? I have a somewhat complex return, it's not crazy complicated but it includes about 6 schedules including rentals that go back at least a decade. I'm turning 50 shades of gray thinking of a $100 per hour fee to pore over a mistake - or two, or five - going back 10 years.

2. does an accountant require a paper trail? I know what I've paid - say for a rental expense - but I don't necessarily have the receipts at my fingertips. Example, a city garbage fee that's the same $ every month.

Williamsmith
    The accountant I use has a base rate and charges for each additional schedule that has to be filed. I budget $100 -200 for preparation fees.

An an accountant will generally want paper trails but will default by telling you the IRS will be the one that asks you for the trail. You can get away without the documents but they will send you the audit or owning claim not the accountant.

Thread Information