Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shirataki noodles

If it is too good to be true...

I read somewhere that shirataki noodles are widely used in Japan, notably for sukiyaki.

@UA - Which is exactly why I'm so delighted about the shirataki noodles, it seems too good to be true, but apparently it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I read somewhere that shirataki noodles are widely used in Japan, notably for sukiyaki.
    I'm just bowled over (haha) that they are calorie free and I like them, to my palate they are a perfectly acceptable substitute for digestible starch. I have my fingers crossed that it really IS true, so often these great claims get overturned with time (Dreamfields Pasta apparently pulled their low carb number out of thin air and got challenged and lost, they now claim that their pasta has 41 carbs per serving just like any other pasta, but perhaps a lower glycemic index.)

I'm not wild about the texture, but since I'm crazy about Noodly Asian-style dishes, I can overlook that.

Shirataki, IME, do better in recipes in which they'll be enrobed by a thick sauce, like spaghetti sauce or the gravy around beef stew.

I was really disappointed by Dreamfields, too. Tried it a couple of times and felt my blood sugar spike and said that was that for me.... Now I know why.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

After reading this today I bought a pkg of House Foods brand shirataki noodles...made an Asian-style soup with veggies, mushrooms. And man! Was it good! I took Steve's advice and rinsed, drained on paper towels. Yes, Jane, the texture is a bit surprising, but not off-putting. My hubs even ate them and liked them, he who said he'd never eat tofu. I'm a new believer!

BTW, this brand, the pkg says 10 cal/serving, 3g carbs, 0 sugars, 0 trans or sat fat.

So, thanks, y'all, for the tip!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I read the ones with tofu are supposed to be a bit less rubbery than the ones without, and they do have a few calories because of the tofu, but also should have a bit of protein in them. I haven't tried the tofu kind, glad to know they're good too.

I generally give soy the side-eye, but I don't worry about the tiny amount in shirataki. And I admit I occasionally whip up black soybean flourless cakes.

Thread Information