Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Voluntary Simplicity classes start tonight!

If you look at a ladder. Some people it's a lot of effort to reach the first rung and that is their only goal and that is their happy place. Someone else may aim for the top rung. But there is no judgement, there is a place for everyone at whatever level they want to be. Maybe simplicity to someone is learning to declutter and be happy with less, maybe throw in some budgeting skills and goals. Maybe to someone else it's learning to only throw away one small bag of trash in an entire year, make their own deodorant (or go without), only have 12 items of clothing, etc. Having a non-judgemental overview type class would be more friendly to a larger audience. Your hard-core group is going to be smaller. I think the biggest advice is to not toss around judgements about what level others "should" be at.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have went to classes that I did not enjoy so quit going. The 2 that come to mind were belly dancing and yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    If you look at a ladder. Some people it's a lot of effort to reach the first rung and that is their only goal and that is their happy place. Someone else may aim for the top rung. But there is no judgement, there is a place for everyone at whatever level they want to be. Maybe simplicity to someone is learning to declutter and be happy with less, maybe throw in some budgeting skills and goals. Maybe to someone else it's learning to only throw away one small bag of trash in an entire year, make their own deodorant (or go without), only have 12 items of clothing, etc. Having a non-judgemental overview type class would be more friendly to a larger audience. Your hard-core group is going to be smaller. I think the biggest advice is to not toss around judgements about what level others "should" be at.

I am not judgmental before or during the class. I am not judgmental to the people in the class. I am mostly there observing and making sure everyone has a time and space to talk and listen.

My anonymous reviews come back really good. And the regional NWEI representative has observed me facilitating. Again, strong reviews.

I like to reflect on the experiences of the class though and try to understand the participants, their motivations, their challenges, their successes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have went to classes that I did not enjoy so quit going. The 2 that come to mind were belly dancing and yoga.
    If folks did not enjoy it, I definitely think they should just drop. And a couple have. But I never tell them this.

Thread Information