Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Voluntary Simplicity classes start tonight!

thanks for posting that because it didn't come up when I googled. I'm gonna take that test tomorrow

I'm jealous! I've always wanted to take one of those classes from that group (or give one--but I'd have to walk the walk first)--wish I were in your class, UA! Good luck--you'll be great!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    thanks for posting that because it didn't come up when I googled. I'm gonna take that test tomorrow
    People in the class did the Ten for Ten quiz. Very interesting revelations...

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm jealous! I've always wanted to take one of those classes from that group (or give one--but I'd have to walk the walk first)--wish I were in your class, UA! Good luck--you'll be great!
    Believe me when I say you do not need to walk to the walk to take the class.

A friend in the class asked me how many possessions I own. I said: "About 150..."

Someone else said: "I have more than 150 in my junk drawer!"

Williamsmith
    While I might be interested in the book, I am genrally not a "go to meeting" person. I've tried to understand this and mostly it's a privacy thing. I'm not comfortable expressing myself in a small group format if you can believe that or not, especially if they are strangers.

I don't mind a general pot luck dinner type thing but to be attending something I'm not the leader of and to have to follow along with someone else's gameplan......I'd be a drop out especially as soon as I decided anyone is a fake and only there to highlight their own achievements. I don't like being led.

Usually there will come a time in the class when the leader realizes I haven't participated and will ask me a question, then look out. They don't usually like what I say. Yeah, I guess I'm a loner. I could be in the mountain cabin, just me and the dog and never miss interacting with people for a very long time. But I would be a minimalist for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    While I might be interested in the book, I am genrally not a "go to meeting" person. I've tried to understand this and mostly it's a privacy thing. I'm not comfortable expressing myself in a small group format if you can believe that or not, especially if they are strangers.
    These classes are quite possibly not for everyone. Though the vast majority of people who take the classes end up taking more classes from the NWEI or they take the Voluntary Simplicity class a few times, like every few years or so.

I don't mind a general pot luck dinner type thing but to be attending something I'm not the leader of and to have to follow along with someone else's gameplan......I'd be a drop out especially as soon as I decided anyone is a fake and only there to highlight their own achievements. I don't like being led.
    I like potlucks, pretty much as a general rule. It is all the fun of going out to dinner, but cheaper and often with more variety! haha

The thing about these courses is that the gameplan the NWEI has is very loosely structured. I observed this by doing two classes at the same time. In one group a certain article got lots of discussion. In the other group total silence on that one. So beyond the very loose NWEI structure, the class is guided by the members on a rotating basis. I mostly just listened and observed. Though I did occasionally ask the tough questions.

Usually there will come a time in the class when the leader realizes I haven't participated and will ask me a question, then look out. They don't usually like what I say. Yeah, I guess I'm a loner. I could be in the mountain cabin, just me and the dog and never miss interacting with people for a very long time. But I would be a minimalist for sure.
    Nothing wrong with being a loner. I feel you on that! That is sort of my natural inclination. Left alone I rarely get bored. I love fishing alone for hours -- even a whole day is great!

So the Sunday night class ended last night. Everyone seemed both sentimental about it ending and charged up to continue their journeys into voluntary simplicity. A couple people are probably going to go totally minimalist!

We are all going to meet up at least two more times. In a month we're having a potluck at one of the class member's houses. We'll mostly just socialize, but also discuss how our journeys are going a month after.

And then another member has a house on a lake, so she wants us to come out and have a dinner party there -- and perhaps go fishing. haha That'll be in June though, I reckon.

I am just gobsmacked at 150 items. Well done.

me, too

UA, do ever catch the consumerist bug and want to spend on something you just really, really want but cannot justify at all as a need?

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    me, too

UA, do ever catch the consumerist bug and want to spend on something you just really, really want but cannot justify at all as a need?
    Once in a while I think about buying a wallet. I used to have a real weakness for wallets. For the past couple years I have been just using a rubber band as a wallet -- minimalist, free, easy. I like it. But still, once in a while I want a "real" wallet! haha

Thread Information