Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So there are those of us who are not tv people......

So there are those of us who are not tv people......

Get a laugh at it.

I was looking at some stuff on Youtube and saw something by a comedian I enjoy and I found a show he did on TV and how bad it is/was.

How TV ruined your life
    Charlie Booker is the comedian.

There is some language and more mature content, but I wouldn't call it anything adult.
    In case you want a laugh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9z9...421A2&index=10

So where is the line between being entertained by TV and being entertained by YouTube? I'm not trolling; I genuinely want to understand the delineation. Right now I don't see it (no pun intended).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I suppose some will say commercials.

Good question, Steve. I don't have TV as I simply don't watch it enough. I rarely watch Youtube either but don't see much difference other than the monthly TV rate. I use my WiFi for all the internet, IPhone for internet music connection etc., so pay for WiFi at $51 which includes the 13% tax. When I get the hang of it, I will watch AppleTV via the WiFi as well but not sure how much use I will make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That's a big one - another big one is watching what you want to watch when you want to watch it. Trolling YouTube or Netflix or Hulu is not like flicking through the cable channels.

I think a down for some people would be not being able to talk to someone about the latest episode of whatever is popular this week. Even if you watch the same show, you're often not in the same place.

In the age of the DVR, I don't see a lot of differences between the various TV (and it's all TV) delivery systems. I suspect some methods may have a bit more snob appeal (techno or cultural) than others. Much like the people who insist "It sounds better on vinyl", there may be those who channel a bit of status anxiety through their choice of screen.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Unless you use adblock they both have them.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Unless you use adblock they both have them.
    I use something similar to AdBlock and I still see pre-roll ads on many YouTube (and Vimeo and others) videos.

So, besides the ease with which one can watch certain content on-demand (and obvious technical transmission differences) I'm sensing there isn't much of a difference...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I use something similar to AdBlock and I still see pre-roll ads on many YouTube (and Vimeo and others) videos.

So, besides the ease with which one can watch certain content on-demand (and obvious technical transmission differences) I'm sensing there isn't much of a difference...
    I would agree that there's not much difference. After all, is it really a meaningful difference whether I sit and veg out watching HGTV vs. Kirsten Dirksen's or Deek Diedricksen's youtube channels?

I use adblock plus and don't get pre-video ads on youtube. I vaguely seem to remember having to change it from the default settings that allow ads on certain sites.

When it comes to being entertained, I don't think there is a line between tv, youtube, books, etc.
    Youtube does allow one to find options NOT available in my country otherwise, as well as timeshifting (no dvr and subscription required, person or people don't have to be alive and being broadcast over airwaves), and the mentioned Adblocking stuff (when it works, recent security update fights with it, so it needs an update it hasn't got yet), as well as other means of blocking (hosts file).

Thread Information