Thread: super cool use of an old mall

super cool use of an old mall

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/...gn=mentalfloss

too bad that in the Boulder/Denver area the malls have already been torn down, this would be such a good use of that space

That is really a great idea, assuming the infrastructure is sound. I could also see small scale sales or barter in there - would be kinda nice to walk out into "my" atrium and buy a handknit sweater from my neighbor!

There was an episode of house hunters, maybe a year ago, where the woman rented one of those apartments.

Nice!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Great idea for the well-built malls but not all are unfortunately.

Probably not cost effective for the owners of the mall, unless they can resell, or do something else with the parking lot. (1000's of parking spaces, for hundreds of tenants)

We have a 3/4 level downtown mall, Circle Center Mall. It is starting to lose more tenants. Nordstrom left and it took a long time to reconfigure that space for the newspaper and a school. Now they are mentioning condos or apartments for some of it.

Some of the problems with these malls start with security of customers and businesses. It only takes a few instances of roving bands of unsupervised kids for the mall to aquire a reputation. We have had one fabulous mall close and then become an "outdoor mall". One more, which was my favorite 30 years ago, is totally empty. Nothing could survive the shootings and gang problems. The third, which was our biggest, is almost closed. All of these are around areas where the demographics started to change the populations who regularily shopped or visited the mall.

Thread Information