Thread: Took the smart phone plunge

Took the smart phone plunge

Adding one bill and getting rid of another.
    This afternoon I'll call and get rid of the landline/DSL. It recently went up to $98 a month for the bundle (phone/DSL).
    I should come out ahead $20+ a month. Joined on the boys Verizon calling plan. I'll contribute $75 a month towards the bill and that will lower their expenses a bit as well.
    Did not get the latest-greatest phone, in fact this one doesn't have the best camera on it...but it was cheap and affordable.
    Thought I'd never join a plan again, haven't been on one since early/mid-90's with Altell.
    It finally came down to the fact that I hate it when the house phone rings because 90% of the calls were surveys or junk calls.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Welcome. Highly suggest getting at least two power banks. They're cheap on amazon. Total lifesaver. Never have to fight over plugs at Starbucks and they just got me through nearly 24 hours of a power outage. Both kindle and phone still have over 50% charge.

We just also got on the bandwagon with Smart Phones. Going to take awhile to figure them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Meezer_Mom View Post
    Welcome. Highly suggest getting at least two power banks. They're cheap on amazon. Total lifesaver. Never have to fight over plugs at Starbucks and they just got me through nearly 24 hours of a power outage. Both kindle and phone still have over 50% charge.
    Thanks! Noticed immediately that battery uses more power. Will have to remember to charge daily instead of once every 10 days or so!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

OP, I am thinkng about it too.
    The robocalls here are tremendous. Since LastbSaturday ive answered 4 or 5 calls when no one is there.

Then there are the political and scam calls wherebatbleastbtherebis a person.

i keep a landlne around foe clarity in transmission. I just cannot stand cell phne "relay" type of phone calls of length.

I gave up my landline for awhile but went back to it because I can hear so much better on it. I don't answer the home phone unless I recognize who it is. WE also get a million junk calls.So much for being on the do not call list.

Ways to save on smartphone power: don't load a lot of apps (they run in the background), reduce the brightness of the screen, turn off screen rotation til you need it, and actually use the power save button when you're not calling or online.

Ditto on the landline call quality. I'll give mine up when they pry the handset from my cold, dead hands. But I turn the ringer off, use my flip phone as a pager, and let the robocalls and other nuisance calls ring unanswered. Works for me.

Did you keep the DSL?
    While I do a prepaid cell phone, that for my use is $100 a year, I have been thinking of one of those VOIP phone things, as you could hook the old house phones into them. (you could keep your number for a fee, but getting a new number might eliminate some junk/unwanted calls)

Thread Information