Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phone banking for Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I believe in a connected power, not necessarily a higher power.
    This is just my opinion -- and if I offend you just tell me and I will delete this comment. No need to turn me in! -- but I think that kind of vagueness is seen by most right-wingers as waffling or one step from atheism/satanism. Basically a "Connected Power" is not Jesus -- so it does not count in their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    Last week I phone banked for Bernie with calls to Iowa.

Yee-haw!!!! I am so happy today that I did--incredible turnout, and maybe I swayed that one nice lady that I ended up discussing gender issues with--she wanted to talk about Bernie and she was going to caucus after all.

So amazing that it came down to less than one hand's worth of delegates difference between the two candidates!

And happiest of all, Trump did NOT win--probably happier about that, actually.

Off to phone bank for NH on Thursday.
    Oh that is great! Good for you. How was it? I would be so nervous and uncomfortable, I think it's impressive! Do you go somewhere to do this or out of your house?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I like that Bern's agnosticism/atheism is more thinly veiled than that of most liberal politicians. Liberals -- the vast majority -- are secret non-believers, in my experience and in my observations. I think most Republicans know this on a gut level.
    I'd like to see some stats on that, with a definition of "higher power" provided. I'm not arguing that you're wrong, but I wonder how many are more like me, liberal but with a strong belief in a higher power (my HP is definitely not the State).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'd like to see some stats on that, with a definition of "higher power" provided. I'm not arguing that you're wrong, but I wonder how many are more like me, liberal but with a strong belief in a higher power (my HP is definitely not the State).
    I'd like to see some stats on that too! But which liberal politicians do you know that would like to risk their career by being honest about their disbelief?

Defining a higher power is going to be tricky too.

Religion is like jazz -- you can improvise and make it up as you go. Think about Scientology or Pastafarianism.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Oh that is great! Good for you. How was it? I would be so nervous and uncomfortable, I think it's impressive! Do you go somewhere to do this or out of your house?
    It was great, and I was really nervous and kind of freaked out because I am not the greatest using my smartphone--it is unfamiliar technology. We went to an office someone let us use--he had wifi, it was over his restaraunt, and there were only seven of all making calls. You sign into their phone banks and the calls pop up, and a script to use to see whether they were going to caucus and who they planned to support.

My nervousness is because I don't process that well on the phone and it was very distracting, having all the noise with the other calls, and some of the people were not happy about being called and rather mean. So that kind of freaked me out.

But having felt that my phone call with that lady might have actually changed the course of the election (!!!) I am committed now to overcoming my anxiety and doing it again.

And the other volunteers were very young, my kids' ages, and very, very nice to us.

So maybe Thursday I will buy pizza for everybody!

I would highly recommend it-- we met really nice people and felt we were making a difference.

Thread Information