Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinning hair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thinning hair

I know it's sort of taken for granted that as we grow older our hair might thins. (especially guys).
    My hair has always been rather fine. But about 6 weeks ago, it got exceedingly limp and now seems to be very brittle and falling out more than usual and not replacing itself.

I turned 66 in January. My nails, teeth and hair have always been sort of weak.
    If I have no other symptoms, (besides mod-severe osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and burlap rickety poopus), should I be concerned?

It just seemed to happen overnight. Then I remembered that shortly before this started happening, I was on a course of Cipro and Flagyl and then Diflucan for diverticulitis (and then yeast). I wonder if that had any effect?

I'm thinking it might just be the natural aging process. I could probably think it was a thyroid-related issue, but my energy has been good.
    Anyhow......just an old fart experience?? I was thinking it could be pretty traumatic for men to lose so much hair. But I guess it's best to just go with the flow.......roll with the punches....and all that stuff.

It's funny, one of the occupational hazards of market research is sometimes I feel like I'm more vulnerable to the diseases I research. For instance about a year ago I did a market research study on hair loss with both men and women. I was feeling very "there but for the grace of God go I" because I've always had very thick hair.

So, I was surprised when my hairdresser remarked to me several months ago that I was losing too much hair! I was shedding at the hairdresser much more than I should. So I started researching it with a little more interest--and there are many reasons you (and I) could be losing hair: heredity; deficiency in certain vitamins like B, zinc, and iodine; stress; smoking; thyroid imbalance.

They did a twin study to look at the reasons behind hair loss. Here's an article about it: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...d-to-hair-loss
    Not sure if any of this applies to you, though.

I just had my blood labs done and my thyroid is fine, my vitamin levels are fine, and I've been taking a multivitamin for women, which contains biotin. I'm not extremely concerned at the moment, but like you, I'm not thrilled with this new manifestation of getting older.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Around menopause I lost a bumch of hair. Ok, i accepted that.
    But this year t started falling out again.

now I just do not wash it as often, I do not plan to use a hair dryer. At some point I will get a shorter hair "do"

I always had a lot of hair, now I have average amount. I can see a bald spot but my friends say they don't see a difference.

I wonder just how many diseases/conditions begin in the gut, and instead of treating the digestive system, we treat the symptom - in this case, hair loss.

CathyA, have you ever considered going on a GAPS diet (http://nourishedkitchen.com/what-is-the-gaps-diet/) and including more collage/gelatin and bone broth in your diet? Check out this link: http://zrdavis.com/why-you-need-to-b...oth-right-now/ and item #4 -
    4) Hair, skin, and nails

“Collagen is a major component in hair growth, because it fights off free radicals that can affect your hair’s texture, growth and thickness. Restoring collagen in the hair shaft can improve hair growth. Collagen capsules strengthen hair and increase the diameter of individual hairs, giving your hair an overall fuller appearance.” (source)
    What this means to you: Bone broth is rich in collagen and gelatin which support hair, skin and nail health. Bone broth is good for vanity too.

I'd also suggest reading "Digestive Health with REAL Food" by Aglaee Jacob, M.S., R.D.

My friend has this problem and started to use Rogaine for woman and it really works. HOwever, you must apply it daily. She did this after ruling out a medical condition. Thankfully I have a ton of hair.

For making hair thicker one can use such natural ingredients as avocado, aloe gel, orange puree, castor oil and many others. Making a mask of these ingredients will increase the strength of your locks and will help to avoid hair loss in future. Monica described a lot of means for curing thin hair on her blog, so search for an appropriate hair care product there: https://mystraightener.com/. Also try not to overheat your hair with a blowdryer. It can make your hair thinning quicker.

I suppose it is a cultural thing. My dad (and other men I observed when I was a kid) didn't seem to mind when the hair began to thin. After a few years of brushing a receding pompadour, Dad got a short buzz cut... which is what he maintained for the rest of his life (wearing hats!).

When I started losing my hair, I went close-cropped. I never considered it a problem. When I perspire heavily, I sometimes wish I had a wicking head-band. I recently bought two of them for the summer … will see how effective they are.

I notice many successful (and some unsuccessful) women have their hair close-cropped. It may be some of them endured stares or comments, being that in some circles there may be a social norm about wearing the hair in a gender-specific approved style. But for what it's worth, I think close-cropped looks good, and so do hats. And so does bald, for that matter!

My old dad used to say, "God only made so many perfect heads. The rest He covered up with hair."

I agree about the importance of the gut in this matter, and also of adequate protein.

I'm fascinated by wigs--there are so many styles and colors now.
    My already baby fine but once plentiful hair has thinned, so I may show up with a maroon or blue do any day now. Stay tuned.Belle Tress Biscotti Babe in Raspberry.jpg

Thankfully this is still not a problem. My mom died just short of 90 with lots of hair.

Wigs are so hot, that is the last thing I would wear except perhaps in winter.

Thread Information