Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other puzzlers out there?

I'm picky about images, too. Found a 1000 piecer with a picture of a pile of buttons at the Dollar Store. I don't have high expectations that I will ever finish that one!

They go on sale now? Hmm...going to check into that! I just remembered this morning while reading this thread I used to have a co-worker with the neatest, coziest, quirkiest house (it had a turret!!). She collected hooks and they were on the walls all over her house in unexpected places, different shaped, fun. Anyway, she was a puzzle aficionado and after finishing one she especially liked would glue them and use them around her house the way some might use a doily or placemat. I remember she had one on her hearth. She was so clever. She passed away a few years ago, but these little things I remember about her bring fond feelings to mind.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Here's one I just finished. It was hard, but I love the image. Remember those sleds? I don't see kids sledding as much as we did. We had a little hill beside our yard. Unfortunately, at the bottom was a creek.....but we still chanced it.

cardinals and sled-3.jpg

Whew.........this one was really hard. But I finally finished......thanks in part to having some OCD. haha
    The image was painted by Rosemary Millette. I think it's beautiful. Now to glue it and frame it.

Snowy Perch finished.jpg

Well, it's finally up on the mantle. I can't believe what a hassle this one was. After I put 2 layers of glue on it and was about to put on a 3rd, I realized I put 2 pieces in the wrong places. They were exactly the same size and color, but the color was reversed. This puzzle was so complicated, I went by shape a lot of time time. I realized that the one piece could get by where it was wrongly put......but the other one was a partially black piece that was sitting right in the snow! This began a several week process of trying to fix it. 3 trips to Michael's for frames (I figured the size wrong twice!). Then I tried to match the color of the snow and planned on covering up the black. But it's a very strange color and I couldn't match it. So I ended up putting a few pine needles onto that black blob. That didn't look good, so I tried to cover them up with a green color, which was too bright. I bought an X-acto knife, thinking I could cut the 2 pieces out and reverse them, but decided I could end up with a bigger mess. So now, that piece looks like a big black bug on the snow. haha I'm probably the only one who will notice it, and continue to be driven crazy about it.

Then, there is no frame that completely fits this picture (1,000 piece), if the plexiglass is not holding it in. I hate the plexiglass because all it shows is reflections. So I removed the plexiglass, but then had to figure out how to hold the puzzle in the larger frame. After several more trips to stores, I decided to get a giant black permanent marker and fill in the frame's back board sides, top and bottom with it. Then I put double-sided tape around the puzzle, so it would stick to the back board. Then I had to cut a piece of cardboard the size of the puzzle, to help it hold tight more. Then I realized that I had to put it on the back, since the backboard and puzzle were now glued together. So I had to cover up the hanger thing......but that's okay, since I wanted to put it on the mantel. Whew......never had so much trouble framing a puzzle. I just get cheap ones at Michael's on sale. But I hate the reflection in the plexiglass. I looked up how much a custom piece of non glare plexiglass would cost.........and it's over $50.00. Forget that!
    So right now I'm on hiatus from puzzles. I need a break from frustration. But I do need to figure out some heavy flat object I can put at the bottom of the puzzle now, so it doesn't slide off the mantel and break in two. haha Wouldn't that be funny? Not!

Here's a pic of it on the mantel.

Snowy perch puzzle framed.jpg

Hmmm....after much research, I'm still not sure if it's mantel or mantle.

Mantel. Yours is just like mine. Seventies' house?
    That owl looks majestic, if a bit judgmental.

Hi Jane. Yes, the house was built in the early 70s. I love the fieldstone, but we have to keep applying waterproofing to the outside chimney or the rain pours in through the stone. I guess it's very porous. Did you ever have troubles like that?
    I think the Owl was ticked that I screwed things up. He tried to tell me those pieces were in the wrong place, but I wasn't listening.

Yes--the rain occasionally soaks the mantelpiece on both sides. Just one of the wonderful quirks of this house--I often say it's like living under a bridge. I think the view is supposed to make up for it...

Here's a pic of my latest one. It was hard, but fun.

bear and cubs-1.jpg

Thread Information