Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other puzzlers out there?

Was able to complete my two puzzles for this holiday season. They were both gifts from last year and were actually pretty easy. Now I get to go look for a new one!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Good for you, happystuff! I hope you find a new good one.

I've done 3 recently. (Yes, I get other things done, but with my legs hurting so bad, I sit down a lot). I do love Cardinals, but it seems like a lot of bird puzzles have the cardinals in them.......especially the winter scenes. Not surprising, they are so beautiful.

Here they are.

Cardinal's Rustic Retreat
    IMG_8896.jpg

Candlelight Vigil
    Candlelight Vigil.jpg

Golden Frost
    Golden Frost puzzle.jpg

Thanks, CathyA. I love the rustic/nature themes of your puzzles. How many pieces are those? Thinking I may want to tackle a 2000 piece next time.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Hi Happy Stuff,

I usually stick to 1,000 piece puzzles (since that's what most of the ones offered are), but sometimes, for a nice break, I do 300 and 500 piece ones. The ones I posted are 500, 300 and 1,000.
    But I've learned that 500 piece ones can be very challenging too. I've also learned that 300 piece ones can be just as pretty as the larger piece ones.

I'm starting another 1,000 piece one. I think they're catching on that mostly older people are doing these now and are making the pieces much larger. The one I'm working on now is 1,000, but it's 27"x35" big! I'd rather have smaller pieces that make a smaller puzzle. I'm learning when the puzzle is big, to try to do the top half first.......but bring it down to the bottom area, so I'm not leaning over all the time.

The biggest one I've done is the one with a horse driven cart over a bridge in the Fall. It was "only" 1,500 and I don't think I'll do it again......unless I totally love the image. It's just too hard for me, mostly because of all the leaves being similar. But it's sort of like child birth. Right after you say "I'm never doing this again"! But fortunately you forget the pain and do it again. haha

I've seen some puzzles that are 35,000 pieces. No Way! Do you have a specific 2,000 piece puzzle in mind?
    I'm not sure if Photobucket removed my picture of the bridge one I did, when I didn't pay to belong and I don't want to go back and lose this message, so I'll post it again. It was REALLY hard........but I love it so much, it's up on my wall.IMG_8911.jpg

I like the dollar general 500 piece puzzles. The are only 11X14 so I can do it on the kitchen table without taking up the entire space. I can do them fairly quickly and the pictures are very lovely.

CathyA - two years ago my holiday puzzle was a 2000 piece "Last Supper". That was the first (and so far only!) puzzle that I actually did the outer edge last! The edge pieces were soooo similar that I waited until the rest of the puzzle was together and my eyes had adjusted to the minute color differences. That was a fun challenge. Nothing in particular in mind for my next one at this point. Up until this past Christmas, my puzzle had been gifts from a BIL. This year - no puzzle. lol.

nswef - never bother looking at our dollar store for puzzles as my initial search years ago only had children's puzzles. I'm going to look around again and see if they have anything now. Thanks for the tip.

Happystuff.......Yeah, you learn the best way of figuring things out for you after awhile. Silly me, I had never thought of doing the upper portion down low, and had always dreaded all that leaning over. haha In the one I'm doing now, it's all down low and I'm almost finished with the house, the tree and the barn. When I am, I'll just incorporate up to the top edge.

Yeah, sometimes I just can't figure out the edge, so I work on another area. It's funny what you said about adjusting your eyes to the minute color differences......that's so true. I find that after a while, I can see a piece and just know at least which "neighborhood" it belongs to. I really enjoy irregularly shaped puzzle pieces more than all the same, since I go by shape a lot. Some artists choose not to have their images put into puzzles, which is unfortunate. I really like the images by artists like Bateman, Redlin, Brenders, Terry Doughty, and especially Mark Keathley. If you liked the Last Supper puzzle you might really like some of Mark Keathley's puzzles, since some have a religious theme. I love his rural ones. I have no artistic talent at all, and am constantly in awe of people who can paint. Okay.....back to my puzzle.
    Oh....I just got a fun puzzle to put together. I probably won't get to it for awhile, but here's a pic of the image. It's not my usual subject matter, but I got a kick out of it....especially the dog drinking out of the bird bath. It's called "Birdwatching".

Birdwatching puzzle.jpg

Finished another one. It's by Mark Keathley. I love his rural scenes. It's called "Warm and Cozy".

It was 1000 pieces, but the pieces were bigger than usual.......so it took up almost the entire card table. More puzzle companies are making their pieces larger..........maybe for the aging population that probably does most of the puzzles? On this one, I would rather have had smaller pieces, so the finished thing wasn't so huge.

You can see the 3 deer, but later I realized there was a bunny and a bluejay too.

On to my next puzzle.........

IMG_8937.jpg

Here's my latest 2. I don't understand my interest in these, but it's sure fun! It's getting harder and harder for me to do a lot up on my legs without a lot of pain........so this is a great/comfortable thing to do.
    Can you tell I like owls? (and the country?)

The first one is called "At Home in the Barn" by Jon Ren
    The second one is called "Night Watch" by Terry Doughty (I've done several of his puzzles and love his paintings)

IMG_8950(1).jpg

IMG_9020 Night Watch Puzzle.jpg

We just finished a 1,500 piece puzzle that I got for my birthday called Times Square, made by EDUCA. Beautiful colors, well made.
    Their website is puzzlepassion.com, but it's in Spanish.

Thread Information