Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other puzzlers out there?

LOL Rosarugosa.........It IS hard!

Here's my latest. It's the puzzle of Robert Bateman's painting of "Spotted Owl" I have the print of it too, but wanted to make it come to life through working a puzzle.
    Of course, the print is better, but the puzzle was so much fun!

Spotted Owl puzzle.jpg

IMG_9227(1).jpg

That's a nice one, Cathy. I belong to a FB group, Owls of New England, and I really enjoy the owl pics.

Sounds like a neat FB group! I didn't realize just how much I liked owls, until I realized that so many of my puzzle choices were owls. I just wish we had more of them and more of a variety of them around here.
    But around here, it seems that the choices for land are bulldoze it and build huge developments........which isn't the choice habitat of owls......or lots of other creatures.

I still have some unopened owl puzzles. Owl puzzles can be really hard to put together because of the funky direction of all the different feathers. But what a beautiful finished puzzle it makes!

The puzzles I make end up looking much better from a distance, as you can't see all the lines of the pieces. I'm running out of wall space!

Ok. Here's my latest one. Carl Brenders is another wildlife artist I like. I found this puzzle of one of his images, called "Hidden in the Pines". It's of 2 young great horned owls. I was a little concerned when I received it, because it was made in China. This is the first one that wasn't made in the U.S. I wrote the company of my concern about the dyes used, etc., and they assured me that they monitor all that comes out of this place. Anyhow......it was the most well-made puzzle I've done to date. It was made by "Master Pieces". The pieces were extremely strong and made in all different shapes. It was very challenging and towards the end I always start to panic that they've left some pieces out......but they were all there.
    I would like to do more from this company, but I don't see any other images there that I like. But it was an incredibly well made puzzle.

Owl Puzzle - Brenders.jpg

That's lovely, Cathy. I really enjoy the irregularly shaped pieces.

This is a bummer. It's such a beautiful puzzle and was pretty hard. When I finished, it had 3 missing pieces, which I'm sure happened at the factory. I emailed the company and they said they don't make it anymore, but I could maybe find it somewhere else and make it again. I don't think so! I've made replacement pieces in the past, but this time it's too hard. I've bought a couple paints, but nothing matches the area. And at some point, I have to quit spending money on trying to fix it. You can see the 2 pieces that didn't go anywhere. I'm developing "Fear of Missing Pieces" at the end of spending hours and hours on a puzzle. But that won't stop me.....yet.
    So.....This one will be just a memory. It sure was pretty though.

Hummingbird and Hosta Puzzle.jpg

We typically buy our puzzles second-hand, and it's not uncommon for 1 or 2 pieces to be missing. I just wish sellers would be honest and mark that on the box so we're not wasting time looking to see if we lost them somehow.

In the meantime we found 4 puzzles at our local Goodwill on half-price day that were decades old. The maker is Fairco. It's interesting to do these older puzzles: the colors are muted and the pieces are not cut as sharply but they're still well-made. And of course the images are all some type of scenery. Good to mix it up sometimes, and for just $1 each it's cheap entertainment!

Hi Lainey, Were the ones you got a Goodwill second-hand too? I suppose they were. I know the kind you're talking about. I actually bought a new one called "Delivering the Milk", and even though it's new, the image is old......thatched roofs, horse-drawn cart that delivers the milk, and sort of a yellow-ish/muted color. Reminds me of an island in the North Sea I worked on when I was younger......they had thatched roofs and milk cans like the image.

I need to get over thinking I have to frame every puzzle I do! It's getting silly. haha I actually did break down one puzzle after I did it, but those are few and far between.
    I wouldn't think of donating a used puzzle without being sure all the pieces were there........but lots of people don't think it's that important.

Have fun with your Fairco puzzles!

I've done a couple puzzles since my last post. I could have sworn I posted the "Delivering the Milk" one. I liked it because it reminded me of my summer working on an island in the north sea. All the roofs were thatched.
    The second picture is huge, but I love it. It's called "Sunset Barn". I love the light in it. The matte glue I used on it subdued it a little, but it's still nice.

IMG_9856.jpg

IMG_9945.jpg

Thread Information