Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

Hiking

I'm posting this here because it's not about the health benefits that I strive for with my hiking, but is just about how much I enjoy the beauty of the trails and views and blah blah blah. Today I went on a new trail about 20 minutes from our house. 3.1 miles up and 3.1 miles back. A little under 1200 foot elevation gain. This is pretty much the sweet spot for me as far as difficulty goes, so I was super excited to check it out. And the views did not disappoint. San Francisco and Oakland skylines as well as the Richmond bridge. Hopefully the picture is high enough resolution that you can see them off in the distance. (san francisco is pretty much in the dead center of the picture)

trail.jpg

And after I got home and was posting a review on All Trails, the website/app that I use to find trails, and not get lost on the trails when I'm out hiking, I found a review by this guy. Apparently he wears a gopro on his head when he goes hiking or something. If you want to see a 6x version of the exact hike I did today follow the link. (obviously he did this before all the rain we have received so it looks a little different now.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEhO5YDWwrw

That is so beautiful, JP. You are fortunate to have access to such a great spot and the ability to enjoy it!

That is a gorgeous view! Cool video! It's funny to see greenery. Here's a picture of my latest hike on a local trail. It's called Story Walk, sponsored in part by the local library, so you can hike and every few yards or so read a page of Owl Moon. Here's a picture of DH reading one of the pages.

IMG_3140.jpg

Cool thread--I'd like to see pictures of other recent hikes!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wonderful hikes, jp1 and catherine. Love the idea of hiking and reading at the same time.

jp1-I watched the video and it's such a beautiful trail! I can see why you hike for the beauty.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The video view was so fast on a bike or motorbike? Hiking lets one savour the view as one progresses.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I think he says he just speeds the videos up to 6x normal speed with editing software. Which sounds right. It took me a little over an hour each way.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    That is a gorgeous view! Cool video! It's funny to see greenery. Here's a picture of my latest hike on a local trail. It's called Story Walk, sponsored in part by the local library, so you can hike and every few yards or so read a page of Owl Moon. Here's a picture of DH reading one of the pages.

IMG_3140.jpg

Cool thread--I'd like to see pictures of other recent hikes!
    That sounds fun. I like hearing about things like this. The other day I read a diary on dailykos about some sort of geolocation game where you get instructions and have to then go find a hidden thing and then follow the clues for the next one, like a treasure hunt. That also seemed like a great way for people to motivate to get outside and move.

This is Phoenix reservoir, one of our drinking water storage reservoirs. The pic is from a hike last summer before all the rains. Went back there on Friday and thankfully it's completely full now.

phoenix reservooir.jpg

How about...

Kent Walks.

This walk is on Blue Bell Hill. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViFLs2QEAQY

A site along the walk is the White Horse Stone (the white horse rampant being the emblem of County Kent).

According to legend, in the Fifth Century Vortigern, "King of the Britons", was overserved ale by the Anglo-Saxon/Jute leader Hengist, father of Rowena. And Vortigern's desire for Rowena was so great, he gave Kent to Hengist in exchange for her.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    That sounds fun. I like hearing about things like this. The other day I read a diary on dailykos about some sort of geolocation game where you get instructions and have to then go find a hidden thing and then follow the clues for the next one, like a treasure hunt. That also seemed like a great way for people to motivate to get outside and move.
    It's geocaching. There is also something sorta similar called letterboxing. Easy to Google and find out more. I've done both in my area as well as letterboxing on a couple of vacations years ago. Don't know how popular either one is these days.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information