Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other puzzlers out there?

Any other puzzlers out there?

Jigsaw puzzles appear to be sort of an easy/silly hobby to have. But dang......they can really give your mind a work-out. I finished a 500 piece one of Robert Bateman's Great Blue Heron. Then I started on another one of his that is 1000 pieces....and mostly greys. It's such an exercise in patience. It seems to work a part of my brain that I don't usually use. You become aware of colors, textures, shapes. I think I may have given up, had it not been for the fact that my DD gave it to me for christmas, and I don't want to disappoint her. I might spend an hour looking for one piece and can't find it. Then I go back later, or first thing in the morning, and pick it right out. Shows me how much better we think when we've been refreshed.

I framed the Heron one, and used a matte finish glue on it, but the plexiglass it came with is too reflective. So I'm trying to find a less expensive non-glare option. The non-glare glass was going to be over $50.00!

This puzzle is a love-hate thing. But I think it's a good workout for my brain.........and learning patience and perseverance. It's about 26.5" x 19".

Anyone else work on these?

Here's a picture of the one I'm working on now. I don't know if I posted it before. It's unbelievably hard. I couldn't do this with a cat around. And with my arthritic fingers, it can be a challenge to pick up the pieces......but onward I go.........

I love puzzles. I find it relaxing and a good alternative to being on a computer. I like to listen to podcasts while I do puzzles. I don't have any right now due to limited space, but once I move again I'm going to have a permanent puzzle table set up again.

Hi Kestra. For some reason, I find that I am talking to myself the entire time I'm working on the puzzle. haha
    It would be great to have a big table that turns, with perfect lighting overhead........but that's just a dream for now.
    Like I said, if my old cat were still alive, I just couldn't do this. He would eat the pieces....

I'm sort of surprised at my fairly new interest in them. Even though they can be very frustrating at times, I do enjoy them. And I feel good not being on the computer or watching TV.

I just talked with my son and he said he was playing a board game with his girlfriend and having fun. It's good to hear that people still do things like this!

that looks so hard but beautiful!

My mom loves puzzle but she has an end stage disease and couldn't really sit at the table long enough to do them. She found online jigsaw puzzles and she is addicted. She gets upset if her iPad mini has to be taken in the the Genius Bar and she is without them for a few hrs, lol. I couldn't understand how on earth a puzzle done on such a small device could be challenging, I figured what's it going to have, 50 pieces? But they are challenging if you want them to be and quite pretty when done. So if you don't feel like putting a large one together, maybe you would enjoy these.

I won a large painting on a cruise, that I am so sick of and wish I had never spent the money to have it framed. Because of its size, they used I can't think of the right word right now, maybe like plexiglass? It's not glass, very light wt plastic that you can bend and I would imagine, cheap. I bet it's online and cheaper than getting it at a framing place. This one is matte so no glare.

Thanks freshstart.

I actually happened upon an online jigsaw puzzle and was amazed that they were out there. I think I'll stick to the old fashioned ones for now. I'm glad your mom enjoys the online ones. (Modern technology does have some advantages!).

I have some of Robert Bateman's limited reproductions and the framing always costs more than the print! Maybe you can sell that one you're tired of?

Thanks for your suggestions!

freshstart..........do you have matte plexiglass on your picture? I'm finding it hard to find.

I love Jigsaw puzzles! I live in an apartment building and there is always one in process on a table in the community room. I ca usually find at least a few pieces. I had dozens of puzzles, collected over many years, several cartons full. I donated all of them to a senior center.

I just can't think of the right word, it may very well be plexiglass, very thin, thinner than glass, transparent bendable plastic. Do you have Micheal's? their framing dept would know what I can't think of, so sorry. It's not bad even though it's not glass, it makes the art so much lighter

LOVE them!! The hours tend to fly by though. In my condo building is a common room where residents will leave boxes of puzzles for others to use, so there's always a new one there to try. Some of them have really oddly-shaped pieces; haven't tried one yet but I'm sure it'll be frustrating.

As for the puzzles I own, after completing I'll take it apart and put the edge pieces into a small bag. I find that finding those pieces when starting is the hardest part!

I like on-line jigsaws like those at Jigzone. You can change the number of pieces and their shapes, for infinite variety. And you don't have to worry about losing pieces.
    http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/daily-jigsaw

I also like word games like those AARP offers:
    http://games.aarp.org/

And I have a number of puzzles on my tablet, as well as old favorites like Sudoku and Concentration. Every once in awhile, I buy a boxed jigsaw puzzle at the thrifts, but I usually don't want to spread a thousand tiny pieces out and then worry about losing one or two while I get a kink in my neck from leaning over the table squinting at the picture.

Thread Information