Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other puzzlers out there?

I like Robert Bateman. Years ago I went to a book warehouse sale and bought two gorgeous books filled with his prints.

I received this a few years ago: http://www.bitsandpieces.com/product...Fckehgod2-YPyw Mine may be a bit smaller. Anyway, it's great for storing everything to keep it out of the way when not working on it. However, there's no way you can carry it by the handle without ruining the puzzle---all the pieces will just slide to the bottom. It's made of cardboard and OK if you don't lean on it. When doing a 1000 piece puzzle, some of the pieces don't fit in the drawers. Since I don't have a place to work on a puzzle, I can set this on a wooden chest that I use as a coffee table, set the drawers around me on the couch, and I'm good to go.

We used a big piece of plywood and would store it under a bed or in a garage, then set it on a dining room table - fun times! We could pick it up at anytime and carry it carefully so as not to dislodge the pieces.

I feel like doing a jigsaw puzzle so bad right now, lol

Pony Mom......I had looked a lot of those things over when I started my first puzzle, and ended up going pretty simple. I bought one of those 3 drawer plastic units for different colored pieces of the puzzle. I keep it on a TV tray next to the card table. I bought a tri-fold smaller kid's science fair project cardboard and it works great. That way, I can move it if I need too. If I want to glue the puzzle, I will slip waxed paper under it, and that protects the cardboard. Also, I do a lot of 18"x24" puzzles, and if I can't decide if I want to glue them or not, the outer sides of the cardboard fold over the puzzle and protect it somewhat for flat storage under the bed.

freshstart.........lol! Go get a puzzle!
    It's funny, if I finish a pretty challenge puzzle, I think to myself "man, I need a break from this"........but within a couple of days, I'm thinking of starting another one. I don't know what the draw is for me. What's most important to me is the subject matter of the puzzle. I don't think I'd have any interest in something like a dozen colorful donuts, or beer labels or firetrucks, etc. I love nature scenes and birds. I just love looking for things (puzzle pieces), finding them, and then putting them where they're supposed to go! I wish I was into house cleaning that much!

I just can't get enough of puzzles. I don't quite understand the "addiction". Just finished a cheap "hot dog" one for my son. He eats incredibly healthily, (vegetarian/pescatarian) but loves an occasional hotdog. He even had a wallet with a hot dog image on it. haha

I bought him a cheap hot dog puzzle and he loved it. Well, he loved getting it, but it was cheaply made and all the pieces were the same shape and never stayed in place, so he gave up. I offered to put it together for him. Man, what a difference it makes between a cheaply made one and a good one. Several times I almost gave up, but always went back to it. I finally finished it last night. What a labor of love! When I would make progress on it, it would come apart in various areas. Soooo frustrating. I just find it curious that I have so much patience with puzzles.

Anyhow.......I've done about 15 this year, and bought about 6 more to work on. But I just discovered wooden puzzles. They are very interesting (and quite expensive). The pieces are many times made out of "whimsical" shapes.....fish, trees, etc. I've seen a couple very beautiful ones.....like cherry blossoms, water lilies. But many of them are very small and cost around $50-60.

I do lots of other things during the day, otherwise I'd be a bit concerned about all the puzzles I do. I like to call it "perseverance" but I think it might also be called OCD. haha
    I just have to shake my head, wondering why the heck I love these so much. Mostly, it's the image. I couldn't do any hot dog-type puzzles again....unless it was for someone I loved who wanted it!
    Take a look at the Wentworth wooden puzzles, or the Artifact Puzzles. Some are pretty bizarre.........but others are beautiful.

I recommend the book Flow. It is kinda related. It is about getting into something and getting out of your head in the simplest terms. He talks about artists and their process but honestly I think puzzles, games etc. are things that bring out the same mind state.

I will do puzzles when I don't have cats! Meanwhile I play solitaire on the computer and do fill-in puzzles.

Ah, puzzles with cats in the house... a challenge. We've been doing cheap, 500 piece Family dollar puzzles. They are amazingly fun and yes, a bit addictive. They are cheaply made, so not always tightly locked in place, but quite workable if no cats come to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I've always liked puzzles but go through stages on actually buying them and doing them. I don't like to re-do one I've already done and don't like to save them. I can work on one for weeks and as soon as it's done I can barely let a day go by before I put it back in the box and pass it on to someone else.
    I do little ones on the computer a lot when I'm waiting for something to do at work. http://www.thejigsawpuzzles.com has a lot of themes and I get kind of hung up on trying to do all in one category, like bridges. They also have a daily challenge. And I like that you can change the count size for each puzzle.
    Shared this website with a friend who was very thrilled! Thanks for the info!!

Those puzzles are nice and amazingly done! I'd love to try some other puzzle but I'm very busy most of the time. By the way, you may see a wide range of puzzles on BrainBashers. I found some easy and difficult but I just thought, it would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Shared this website with a friend who was very thrilled! Thanks for the info!!
    Oh, your welcome.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information