Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sideview Mirror help please

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Same way computerized check-out has changed basic math skills, and the keyboard has ruined penmanship. I don't think it will do much good to complain about these lost skills. Cars will probably be self-driving in relatively short amount of time. And manual transmission? I think the only people who will know how drive stick will be race car drivers, but again, why is that a big problem if learning it has no relevance anymore?
    While I don't think the keyboard was the only thing that ruined penmanship (also the lack of snail mail, in my case, growing up around medical handwriting, etc), I do think basic math skills don't qualify as "no relevance".
    I was behind someone who bought something, and they mistyped in the amount of money he gave them. The kid cashier, asked for a manager to get him more money for his drawer, because the change said $500+ back. So the kid has no basic math skills, and worse yet, no common sense. (get more back then cost) I frequently have seen kids that can't read an analog clock (things that won't be disappearing from places like Big Ben anytime soon). And I still wonder how kids "sign" their name, because when I was growing up, sign your name, meant cursive, on legal documents.
    I also think stick driving still has relevance, as so many delivery vehicles still use it (UPS, Fed Ex, pretty sure the post office LUV's). But it is not any different then hand tool skills. Not everyone will use it, so relevance is a variable.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So the kid has no basic math skills, and worse yet, no common sense. (get more back then cost)
    As soon as someone finds a way to augment common sense with technology, I'm investing -- big time.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    And I still wonder how kids "sign" their name, because when I was growing up, sign your name, meant cursive, on legal documents.
    As more documentation and processes move on-line/electronic, "signing" will become more electronic. My phone is unlocked with a fingerprint. And electronic signatures already exist; I've used them for our tax returns and our recent mortgage re-fi. And they'll only get better, based on more-specific identification and becoming more hacker-proof. Blockchain presents some real opportunities in this area.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I remember an old Car Talk show where they discussed this. I looked it up and this is their technically correct way of doing it. I miss Tom and Ray.

http://www.cartalk.com/sites/default...alkMirrors.pdf
    I remember that talk! I need to listen to it again

I lost most vision except seeing blobs of color in my left eye after a retinal detachment. Depth perception is a huge problem, so adjusting my mirrors is very important. What did not help was getting an attachable mirror to add to the left side, kind of like a truck mirror. A mirror that helped makes my rear view mirror bigger helps but it's not perfect. When I am driving again and have a little extra money, I am going to have an extra large rear view mirror installed. And I just don't parallel park anymore or back into spots because I don't feel that I can do it safely. I was surprised to find it is totally kosher to drive with one eye. It did take me a long time to adjust and I did total a car (no one was hurt) because I failed to see a car coming.

Today I head back to the East side across the state, umm Flint or Detroit way? Traffic and those side views on this car, I have never felt this way but I am dreading that issue. I have not express way driven since original post, today I will see if the mirror change helped.

Talking about change and tills. I was actually at a store the other day and the fellow "counted" the change back to me! I was in amazement, I almost commented to him how nice that was. I am so tired of being handed the change back in my hand without it being counted, but I expect that today. I count it before putting it away.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I lost most vision except seeing blobs of color in my left eye after a retinal detachment. Depth perception is a huge problem, so adjusting my mirrors is very important. What did not help was getting an attachable mirror to add to the left side, kind of like a truck mirror. A mirror that helped makes my rear view mirror bigger helps but it's not perfect. When I am driving again and have a little extra money, I am going to have an extra large rear view mirror installed. And I just don't parallel park anymore or back into spots because I don't feel that I can do it safely. I was surprised to find it is totally kosher to drive with one eye. It did take me a long time to adjust and I did total a car (no one was hurt) because I failed to see a car coming.
    You may enjoy a book called....."The Point of Vanishing" by Howard Axlerod. The author suffers the severing of an optic nerve and losses eyesight in one eye due to an injury sustained in a pick up basketball game. He is young, from an affluent family that expects him to become an attorney or a doctor but he feels compelled to be a writer. I read it because he sought out solitude in a secluded house in the Northern Vermont woods and I was interested in his responses to loneliness or aloneness, which are two different existences. There is even a love story weaved into the narrative. He also addresses the challenges of seeing with one eye and the lack of depth perception.

Thread Information