Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Living on $30k or Less

I was taking a very low dose of statins. I asked the dr. if I could have my chol. checked to see if I still needed it. She told me to just give it up and that research was saying that, although useful after a heart problem, it might not be worth it taking years of statins as a preventitive.

rodeosweetheart
    My mom is definitely better with the aricept, more able to keep a train of thought and less upset by her situation

I think the worst side effect of Aricept is on your wallet! It may help in early stages of Alzheimer's, but of little use in the later stages. Glad it's helping your mother, rodeosweetheart. Kalley, re: health coverage in Canada, I'm just curious. I know taxes are higher in Canada and other countries that have universal healthcare...but does that have any effect on people who don't work, so don't pay income taxes? It seems we have a pretty sizeable number of people who don't work, or just work part-time, in the U.S., and I wonder if the same is true in Canada. And does the amount of taxes vary with income, as it does here in the U.S., or is it a flat percentage of income?

As two of my mother's sisters died from Alzheimer's, as soon as she showed symptoms her neurologist put her on Aricept, and later added Namenda. We saw a very slow and gradual decline, not the fast descent into senility that her sisters had shown. Mom started with Aricept meds in her early eightys and lived alone (with frequent check-ins by us) until this past June, when she fell, hit her head hard, and went into a steep decline, at 96. We are convinced that the meds gave her a good 15 years more of life on her terms. Thankfully she had great insurance from my father's job! Of course as soon as she entered a managed care setting, they began to wean her off of them - at that point, there WAS no point in her taking them. I am sure they aren't helpful for everyone, but they were very helpful for our family.

Thread Information