Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Living on $30k or Less

When I was un-and-underemployed, I spent about three years living on approximately $25,000/year. I'm single, so it was just me.

It was doable, but not easy. And I live in the northeast, which, while not the most expensive part of the US, still is far from the least expensive.

I rent, and I had to move in with a roommate to save money. Nothing against the roommate; she was nice, but I prefer to live alone. That was the largest and most painful adjustment I had to make.

There was money for the rent, and utilities, and gas and food. My car was paid off.

No new clothes, except for new shoes, because the retail jobs had me in pain. Proper shoes, that cost more than a week's pay from the job, helped a lot with that. No eating out. No trips to see family--gas and tolls were too expensive. I simply did not buy anything that I did not absolutely have to. Food was healthy enough, but very plain and simple and no luxuries, like nuts or chocolate. No alcohol.

No real savings. I put at least $15.00/week in to a savings account, more when I was making more money. But the car would need new tires, or not pass inspection, or the temp jobs would dry up and rent would be due, and out it would all come.

This was pre-Obama care, so I had no health insurance. Temping and part-time jobs still don't provide that--so today I would have to add in the cost of that, which would be, I think, about $100/month. I went to a walk-in clinic once, for an abscess in my jaw that had me in crippling pain. I spent about $10/week on OTC medication for my allergies. Two teeth broke during that time and I just lived with it until I got a job again and could afford going to a dentist. (My town has a low-income dental clinic. I made $3000 too much to use it.)

The library was a life-saver. Books and the occasional DVD, and free concerts and movies.

When my cat got sick, I had to borrow money to have her put to sleep. I couldn't afford the tests to diagnose what was wrong (either cancer or some heart problem), and I couldn't let her suffer. And I couldn't get another cat until I got a job. That was a lonely two years.

One of the hardest things to deal with was that I had no guaranteed income. Hours at the part-time retail job varied from 7 to 20 hours a week. I temped a lot, but the pay varied from $10.75 to $16.00 per hour. Some assignments were for six months, some were for three days. If I wasn't working, I took whatever temp job they offered. But because my income was unstable, even when I was bringing home a decent amount every week, I had to save whatever I could, for the months when I had little temp work available. There was never a time when I could relax about money. It was a constant calculation of how much I had, how much I was making that week, how much I could spend on food and gas that week, in order to pay the rent next month.

When I finally got a job, it had been so long since I'd been in a store, other than the grocery store or drug store (or the one I worked at, where I couldn't afford to buy anything), that the first time I went to Target, it was like visiting another planet. There were so many things!

I had always been frugal, so my life didn't change drastically, except for the roommate. I think if I had a steady, regular income of the same amount, Iit would have been easier. I certainly would have worried a lot less. The source of the income probably matters, as well. I was working 2 or 3 jobs at a time, and therefore had limited time and less energy for some cost-saving measures that I had always done. If, on the other hand, I was getting a pension of $25,000 a year, and had plenty of time, I could probably cut the food bill considerably.

Renting might not be the best investment, but when the dishwasher broke, I didn't have to pay to replace it. I also didn't have to spend time or energy on lawn care, snow removal or home maintenance, so that was probably a wash.

FYI - Other than meat, liquids are generally expensive items on a limited food budget - whether it's bottled water, milk, juice, soda/pop, smoothies, coffee/tea, commercial non-dairy milks, or spirits. Most of those we don't even require in a healthy diet, and most can be found or made cheaper than we purchase them for from a store.

Quote Originally Posted by lessisbest View Post
    FYI - Other than meat, liquids are generally expensive items on a limited food budget - whether it's bottled water, milk, juice, soda/pop, smoothies, coffee/tea, commercial non-dairy milks, or spirits. Most of those we don't even require in a healthy diet, and most can be found or made cheaper than we purchase them for from a store.
    Yes, it's amazing that if we haven't been to the store, my DH will complain "there's nothing to drink!" and I remind him that we have water (PLUS our water is filtered and we have a ice-maker, and I keep lemons on hand--everything you need for a wonderful glass of water!) and he scorns me.

I think soda is a terrific waste of money--almost as much so as cigarettes, although I admit that I like my glass of seltzer. Of the other liquids you mentioned, I won't go without coffee, but I can do that pretty cheaply, and tea is a bargain IMHO.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    With groceries, I try to avoid processed foods which really drive up cost - convenience foods. I also stopped buying wine when I realized I ended up throwing a lot of it away. We're just not drinkers, dh doesn't care for alcohol and it makes me sleepy. I buy coffee beans but they're a pretty good deal at Costco, mostly Peet's or Starbucks french roast, they go on sale regularly. I only buy soda if we're having a heavy work weekend were dh will be expending a lot of labor and need the sugar and caffeine. Rest of the time it's tap water.

One of our saving graces is that we have cheap hobbies: volunteering in our community, gardening, puttering around the house, playing with the pets, watching movies on Netflix stream or Redbox, napping . I also like to cook from scratch, and I'm a pretty darned good cook!

We're having rain this weekend and just hanging out at home, relaxing and watching a bit of tv - I'm into West Wing right now, dh into sci-fi movies.

I'm transitioning my pets to Costco's Nature's Domain food which will save us quite a bit of money. So far they are doing great, they love the food and it's agreeing with them.

Recently I put out a message that I was looking for some free pots and I've gotten several hundred dollars worth of beautiful large clay and ceramic pots as well as a bunch of small ones which I will be passing along to a friend. One thing I've noticed is that as a society we seldom let others know if we need something. I know I rarely do. Recently I was talking to a friend and neighbor and she mentioned that she doesn't have a washer or dryer (and hasn't for years) and can't afford to buy. Last year we got rid of a dryer in good working order (it ran hot, but still worked fine) when we bought our new one, just had Sears pick it up when they did the install and delivery. If I'd known, I would have been so happy to give it to her. I think this happens all the time. It's unfortunate.

lessisbest I do spend quite a lot on liquids. Almond milk is a bit $$. I make soymilk at home to use in cooking. Other than that, no juices, no pop, but I do buy good herbal and green teas.

watergoddess
    I have found the same thing. Before I buy anything I ask if anyone on our local Swap and Shop has one to sell. I quite often get a good deal there. Right now I am looking for a Japanese teapot. They are a bit $$ so I will ask swap and shop and facebook regular friends too.

So many people are getting rid of so many things nowadays.

Good tip.

Living on less money we still want our luxuries. so we have decided to go out to dinner once a month and spend up to $50. Correction, out to lunch, it is cheaper. The other day I took my dh out to lunch for his birthday.

He had a huge oyster burger with a lovely seafood chowder and a beer and I had a lovely vegan burger with a salad.

We had a gorgeous view of the ocean, and with tip it came to $47. I think that is so much more worth it than grabbing quick meals in cafes and restaurants.

Being vegan I cook from scratch 99% of the time, so it is a lovely treat to have someone else cooking for me. Right now I am cooking a tofu noodle soup that smells divine.

Off for a hike and then back for a lovely lunch.

WE enjoy eating out so do so weekly. I try to use coupons, happy hour specials, etc. A few times a year we go to a fancy restaurant for a special occasion. I love the break from cooking. I always keep some easy stuff on hand to pop in the oven when I am feeling lazy. I cook a lot more now that I am semi-retired and have the time.

I've lived on $30,000 or a little less for several years. My house and car are paid off and my previous employer pays 80% of my health insurance, which I suppose is the kicker. Every year I take one longer distance trip by air and usually put couple thousand into home upkeep and improvements. Property taxes and various insurances are probably my other big chunks. I worked in the restaurant and tourist industries for a couple of years and really don't like to travel as a "tourist" and I don't like being waited on. My travel and other recreation is mostly hiking, fishing, camping, bicycling, birding, gardening, and a little X-country skiing, all of which are not big money entertainments. There are a few little luxuries than I occasionally would like to have, but for the most part I'm happy on that income.

I want the TWO of us to live on $35 000 Cdn, which is only $26 000 currently with our abysmal dollar. I still think we can do it.

Thread Information