Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: well used things

I am still using my mother's Singer sewing machine in its original cabinet which she bought in 1961. I am still using some of the stainless steel cookware that she gave me when I married in 1968. I have Tupperware from 1973. I have LLBean clothes and shoes from God only knows when. I even have the same old husband from 1968.

Florence, my mom's Singer Featherweight sewing machine was my inheritance request when she died. She got it in 1953 and it still sews perfectly.

I have a pair of rubber barn shoes from England called Sloshers that I bought around 1992. They're really cute---dark blue with gold soles and laces. But now the heel part of the shoe has a vertical tear in it and when we moved here 10 years ago I put them in the garbage.....then ran back and brought them inside again. They are still mostly waterproof, comfy and wide and I won't get rid of them yet.

I also have another pair of barn shoes, by Ariat----blue rubber ankle boot. They feel great but the top is tearing where the elastic is; otherwise, they're fine. They were also bought around 20+ years ago and people laugh when I complain that they're ripping when they know how old they are.

My Barbour coat from the same time looks whipped, but that's part of its appeal. The zipper needs to be replaced but I haven't gotten around to sending it to NH for the repair yet. If I need to wear it, I just step into it because the zipper doesn't come apart.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Florence, my mom's Singer Featherweight sewing machine was my inheritance request when she died. She got it in 1953 and it still sews perfectly.
    Amazing aren't they!!

Did anyone on this thread refer to their spouse? haha

I still use the Revereware and iron skillet that my mother cooked with when I was a kid. I have possibly one of the oldest dishwashers still in use ( not me). It's a Kitchen Aid that I'm thinking was made in '68 and was in the house when I bought it. It's one of the things I show off. It's probably not energy efficient, but the energy over it's lifespan is probably good compared to what it would take to make a new one (or a few new ones based on modern quality). I have a couple of tool boxes filled with old hand tools that I've inherited and accumulated. I think about a great uncle or grandparent that had them in their hands generations ago when I use them.

One my my favorites is an old split bamboo fly rod from a great uncle, probably from the '30's. I had it refinished and use it occasionally. It's a delight. If it could talk, it would tell good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

One my my favorites is an old split bamboo fly rod from a great uncle, probably from the '30's. I had it refinished and use it occasionally. It's a delight. If it could talk, it would tell good stories.
    I love this

one of my prized old things is from a woman who was like a 2nd mother to me, her best friend was an IV nurse, she died suddenly in the 70s, she was young. In the 80s, I was headed off to nursing school, she gave me this teeny calculator on a chain that was attached to a suede case. She told me her friend had used this for all her IV calculations. I used it for mine, it was in my pocket or bag for the entire 23 yrs I nursed. Here's the weird thing, it never needed a battery in the 27 years I had it, it must take an incredibly small battery. I finally cleaned out my desk boxes from work last month, it was in my bag and the battery was dead. It made me cry thinking it was a sign I'll never go back. It's in my purse, it's getting a new battery.

Hubby and I are about to have our 36th anniversary and we are happy about it

I bought my sewing machine in 1992 as a gift to self for graduating with my Bachelor's degree. It was 4yo then. Runs like a dream. That stainless steel deadweight is going to outlive me!

congratulations on 36 years!

I have a gas dryer I bought for $50 used off Craigslist 23 years ago that is from the early to mid-1970's - in all the years I've had it, I had only one repair needed for it. At the rate I'm going lately (major car repair, possible root canal), just because I typed my bragging rights here, the dang thing will probably go out on me soon. I don't want to jinx it!

Thread Information