Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neighbours

Neighbours

Do you know your neighbours?
    Do you have some you really like?
    Do you have some you really don't like?
    Do you have some you simply ignore?
    Do you have some you have just never seen (ooooooh)

How do your neighbours affect your life (if at all)
    How do you handle the neighbour you just don't like?
    Do you have a bf in the neighbourhood?

Neighbours gotta love em (or live on a big piece of land.)

Big piece of land 11 years. 9 neighbors.

Back left side - no idea can't see a house.
    Front left side, helped them shovel their driveway once. Also returned their dog. Don't know names.
    across the street - retired vet and wife. Know their names. Never met her. don't like him at all. He and dh help each other out with firewood and plowing and stuff anyway.
    next to them - new young family. Bought the house from his grandparents. Knew the grandparents names and went to their garage sales twice.
    front right side, no idea. Can see the house from the road.
    center right side, horse in field, sometimes, sometimes just field. Assume there is a person in the house beyond the barn on the far side of the field who owns the horse.
    back right side, dog rescue organization, surprisingly quiet, odor free, dd volunteered there as a teenager.
    Right side of back - part of a 100 acre commercial field, sometimes corn, sometimes soy beans.
    left side of back - field, know the owner, kids were in scouts together. Like him and don't mind the gunfire, but didn't appreciate the dynamite two weekends ago.

Previous house, despised neighbor. Moved.

Having moved into my new house about 18 months ago, I know some of the neighbours but not well. Just a hi and a wave in passing. I have friends nearby that I visit with on occasion but generally, I like my privacy and give it to others as well.

We live in an urban core with tiny lots. Knowing your neighbor is important for safety reasons, you know who belongs
    on your block and who does not. I've lived here 26 years and had only one neighbor I didnt like. Now he is gone, yay!

One of our neighbors is not keeping his house up and he will soon be hauled into housing court if he doesnt comply with the city's directive to rebuild his front porch. We have residents here who work with the city n bringing sown attention on problem properties and my friend in the wider neighborhood is working on this issue. The maddening thing is that he has the skills to do it, and if he told me that he soesnt have the money, as he often tells me, I might point to his jaguar sitting in the street that he seldom drives.

This is a walkable neighborhood so we see a lot of people around and about daily. Many have dogs.

Still pretty new to our neighborhood, but so far everyone has been great! My dd has a regular job babysitting the 6-year-old next door. Everyone is pretty quiet and tidy. I have lots of dog-walking chats but haven't gotten to know anyone really well yet.

In our current building we have met the neighbors who lived on either side of us, but not the 3 apartments on the other side of the hall. Our decks are separate but not private so we've had conversations with them from time to time.

When we lived in NJ we were good friends with our upstairs neighbors in a 2 family house. We'd do things like spend halloween on our shared front porch drinking wine and handing out candy and chatting with the neighbors on the block as they brought their kids around. One of them was connected to the neighborhood grapevine so we learned all the gossip about whose teenage daughter was pregnant or who had a drinking problem or whatever from her.

When I lived in NYC I got to know about half the people in my 20 apartment building well enough to have a conversation when I ran into them in the hall. I wouldn't really have called any of them friends, though.

The only neighbor I have really not liked was a grumpy bitch that lived in my building in NY. She never had a pleasant thing to say and if she was entering the building and I was coming in behind her she wouldn't hold the door, even if she saw me walking up the steps. I stopped saying hello and just ignored her if I ran into her in the hall.

Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    Do you know your neighbours?
    Do you have some you really like?
    Do you have some you really don't like?
    Do you have some you simply ignore?
    Do you have some you have just never seen (ooooooh)

How do your neighbours affect your life (if at all)
    How do you handle the neighbour you just don't like?
    Do you have a bf in the neighbourhood?

Neighbours gotta love em (or live on a big piece of land.)
    Been here a little over 15 yrs and love my neighbors. Lots are in the 5-7 acre range so not too close to anyone. They are just a phone call away if we need anything.

Had the discussion with a new neighbor today, about the house they are renting. They asked if I knew about a room. These houses, most of them are from the 1920's, with three exceptions (two around WWII, and one that is one of the houses, when the family that one of the James boy's married into, lived there). I am actually the old timer in the neighborhood now. Next door neighbor owned his house longer (bought and rented it), but I grew up around it and bought a family home. (extended family been in the neighborhood, since at least the 30's)
    Most of the "neighbors" I knew, are gone and I am the guy that says "oh, x's house". Now I know several of the neighbors and have met several of the others, but currently approximately half the neighborhood, is vacant houses, or fairly recent purchases, that I expect people are wanting to flip.
    Most of my neighbors don't even affect me (work too much). The last ones that did, shot into my home and I didn't even find out about that, until almost 2 years after it happened.
    That house will be up for auction this year, and because we have a shared driveway, I am expecting to bid on it.

I am the guy that says "oh, x's house".
    lol that is SO us. We're on the edge of a tiny farming village (like 600 people) but the people we knew best have passed on. We've been here 28 yrs. and none of the close houses have the same folks in them. I don't know who lives in the house to the west - it's quite close but we don't neighbor much. I'm ashamed to say the woman who owned it last was dead for about 6 months before we knew it. The woman who built the house was living there when we came here and we became pretty good friends until her passing. The new people moved in last fall. I've waved, but that's about it. The home across the road - I know them in passing - names, jobs, kids - but that's it. Again, the original homeowner was there when we moved in. We became good friends and had keys to each other's houses. To their east are two houses - no idea of the people's names, although, again, we were close to the old lady who was originally there. Across the yard to the east on our side of the road - we know the family somewhat, they are nice, and have lots of loud children and farm animals, all of which wander over here once in a while. Not a real problem, although I worry because the road here is well traveled and neither animals or children seem to pay much attention to it. The guys who moved in over there about the time we moved here also became close friends and we are still in touch with the one who survives. Behind them over the creek is the farm once owned by our best friend, who died almost 15 years ago. It's gone through several sales since then, and we've lost track of who owns it. Directly behind us are fields - it's several miles to the next house. To the south east is a small acreage lived on by the daughter of the family who owned it when we moved here. She has two teenage boys. The family was, and apparently still is, a repository for a myriad of mental health issues. We steer clear.

Wow, this is sort of a revelation. When we were younger, we neighbored quite a bit with the old guard who was here then, but as they have passed on (or moved, in one case) we just have not bothered trying to get to know the next set of homeowners. And it's not like it's a very transient neighborhood! Maybe we should make more of an effort. Or maybe not . . .

I know all my neighbors with in 4 square miles. Most I know well and some I just know who they are. We all wave and talk to each other. There are only 12 families and most are generational whose families have been here 50+ years. I am the second generation on our farm since 1945. People in my neighborhood don't get around much.

Thread Information