Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaps of faith?

What city if you don't mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post

Have you ever done something that you weren't sure you could pull off but did it anyway rather than submit to fear?
    Oh yeah..

I believe in well-timed leaps of faith. I took a leap of faith quitting my job to go freelance, giving up the steady paycheck, 9-5, health benefits, etc. That leap paid off well.

We took a leap of faith when we just drove into NJ while looking for a place to live, and we listened to the real estate agent who showed us this house--very first house we saw, and we told her, we can't just take the first house we see! and her prophecy was "OK. Look all you want. But you'll be back." And she was right.. 30 years later, we're still here.

But my paramount leap of faith, and the one that taught me the importance of faith, hope and love, was when I wound up getting pregnant right after my 3rd child was born--I was in a terrible place in my life, I was losing my house, I had no money for anything, my paycheck equaled my child care expenses, we had no car, there were substance abuse issues, and my friends and even my mother told me to get an abortion. My leap of faith was the abiding knowledge in my heart that I had the love it would take to raise another child, and that things would work out fine. They worked better than fine. My daughter is a beautiful, wonderful, creative, intelligent, happy human being. Joy of my life, along with my other children.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, I love that!

edited because my leap of faith gives too much power to my ex, never mind

My best leap of faith was calling out for the first time in decades a VERY poor and actually dangerous nurse I worked with. I am not that type but this was very bad. I got disciplined when I spoke up and I went above the dept head to the Director of Nursing. My supervisor, who did not like that move, called me Hitler in front of my director and the employee rep who did nothing for me, not even pointing out I was being called Hitler, lol! The day before I had secretly interviewed with hospice (within the same company) and told them exactly what I had done and why, that something bad was gonna happen if no one spoke up (a few bad things had already happened). I walked out of the Hitler meeting laughing, called Hospice and asked when I could start, they said, "tomorrow." My supervisor and director claimed they needed a month's notice, I said, "surely Hitler should not work here one more day, today is my last day." My new boss called over and backed me, "let me take Hitler off your hands". Had 11 fantastic years in hospice and never worked with a nurse of that poor caliber again. Every nurse sees poor practice here and there, you address the person in a kind way, sort of "hey, here's an easier way to do that, " or some such. This was pages and pages of things that could easily lead to malpractice suits or DOH dings.

freshstart, I know a couple women who lost their kids to the ex for a period of time, and in both cases, it worked out fine and they now have great relationships with their mothers. How awful and frustrating for you. It takes tremendous courage to do what you did--I admire you!

I remember one of the most impactful passages I ever read. I can't remember the book, or the author, or even the subject matter, but I think it was by a psychologist who said that a child will cry out for their mother if their arm is on fire--even if it's the mother who set the arm on fire. So, there is no logic to explain devotion to a bad parent. "Love has its reasons which reason knows not." But I do think most kids are able to see the truth eventually.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

thank you, Catherine, that helps

Our biggest leap of faith was taking a vacation from Alaska to go to NY and IN. Hubby got a job offer within 24 hours of hitting IN. We had not traveled to get a job and had no plans or even discussions of a move. It was just something that "happened". He had an awful soul sucking but very well paid job in Alaska and they were installing the exact same system here in IN. Within 30 days he had moved and within about 60 days I had moved. Sold everything but what we could fit in the huge station wagon. He drove that monster here and I flew.

When I say the move was meant to be, I mean it. I had a government job in Alaska and wanted to transfer to IN and there was a woman in IN that was with the same agency and wanted to transfer to AK. When would that every happen again? They did not have to pay any moving expenses or gain/lose any positions.

that's perfect!

I'm a big believer in leaps of faith--faith being the operative word. If the leap isn't in sync with your instincts, it's probably doomed to fail. I've made a couple of leaps, and they worked out fine. Good luck!

Without question, leaving Dilbertville voluntarily. It has worked out so much better than we'd even hoped -- both of us are happier, we're living our values more clearly, and our health is better for the ability to concentrate rather than just rush through our days firefighting. I had my doubts about walking away from 60% of our take-home pay and I won't say it didn't hurt or cause a few sleepless nights -- for both of us. But it's worked out fine.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

After spending one weekend in Ashland our family decided to leave SF. Within 3 months we had bought a house, I retired, and DD started school for the first time. I'm grateful every day that we did it!

I have taken chances that turned out badly, of course - fewer of those mistakes as I get older. Looking back, I usually knew there was something off, but ignored my intuition.

Thread Information