Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th cold in 4 months

It has been a bad year. We've had a lot of what's going around. Me? Nadda.

What do I do besides lots of fruit/veggies?

1. A really good multivitamin
    2. An extra B-complex vitamin

Anyone over 60 should get truly get the Pneumonia Vaccine. I realize you didn't get pneumonia, but many folks progress to it. Many died last year of pneumonia.

People have a terrible habit of covering their cough with a hand. DON'T. Cough into your elbow-so to speak. What is on your hands.....spreads.

And most of all, good hand hygiene. We bring "disesase" to ourselves from things we touch. It's proven again and again. My slogan: "If you touch yourself, dont' touch stuff. If you touch stuff, don't touch yourself". AND, "if it's wet and it's not yours, don't touch it".

Infection Prevention soapbox over.

Thanks Gardnr, We have both had flu and pneumonia shots. I know about the elbow sneeze and cough- schools teach it now! I first learned of it when my friend's son had to have a cord blood transplant at age 23 months at Duke and that's what they were told. That was in 2001....I still see people sneezing and covering with their hand! Or not at all!
    I was wondering about the B vitamins and multivitamins...I already take D. I think that's why I am so frustrated with this 4th cold!

I eat protein, take zinc and other micronutrients, wash my hands when I've been out, and--more importantly--avoid other people. Ha ha! I haven't had a cold or flu for years.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Thanks Gardnr, We have both had flu and pneumonia shots. I know about the elbow sneeze and cough- schools teach it now! I first learned of it when my friend's son had to have a cord blood transplant at age 23 months at Duke and that's what they were told. That was in 2001....I still see people sneezing and covering with their hand! Or not at all!
    I was wondering about the B vitamins and multivitamins...I already take D. I think that's why I am so frustrated with this 4th cold!
    The thing I do whenever I feel the cold or flu coming on is... take elderberry! My DH says it is a miracle!! I now make my own tinctures but you can purchase in liquid or tablet form. If you can find the wine... that would work too. It is actually shocking that something so simple has such an impact! I have felt sick a few times this winter but have always knocked it out before it had a chance.

I'm thinking that maybe one's body develops immunities to a certain range of viruses and is good for a while - and then when a very different variant emerges, we start getting sick again...till we develop the right antibodies once again? Just a hypothesis.
    I seem to go through years when I am sick all the time, then don't catch a cold for several years.

I would consider: has the weather been different? Are you taking any medications? Have you been checked for vitamin deficiencies? Lots of stress? Getting enough sleep? Keeping hydrated? Any other health problems?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thanks Gardenarian, No changes and blood work good. Medications haven't changed. No stress. Sleep's better than it used to be. But Frugal one I plan to try the elderberry! Thanks.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Our neck of the woods (coastal NC) has been hit hard by colds and flu this year...I have heard this so often, this winter and this Spring: "I've never been this sick."

So far I've escaped the flu, but had a cold that turned into a bronchial thing that hung on and on and on. Weeks. Other had it, too.

Last week I was with a client who was at the tail end of a vicious flu...she was coughing her head off and didn't cover her cough. Sure enough, a couple of days later, I started to get the sore throat, ears feeling full, slight fever that signals the beginning of full-fledged flu..

I loaded up on Echinacea tea and drank and drank lots of it for two days... I brewed the tea very strong.

It worked..I fought off the flu...Echinacea is supposed to be an immune enhancer and it worked for me ... maybe for you, too?
    peaceful, easy feeling

We just got mom out of the hospital where she had to go for severe bronchitis. They were not sure if it was flu or pneumonia first. Could have killed her.

She said this is the hardest thing she has ever had to recover from and she is 84.

How about sleep? I find sleep deprivation to really lowers my immune system.

Also, stress can lead to a weakened immune system.

I've lucked out in the cold/flu department this year--I had an inflamed throat for a couple of days that I thought was going to develop into a cold, but it never did. I do have a vitamin regimen that includes Vitamin C, Calcium, D3, Omega3, B12 and a multivitamin. I'm a pretty healthy eater, but very inconsistent. I don't pay attention to meal routines at all. When traveling with people and I'm always amazed at how bent out of shape some people get if they don't eat at regular times. Not saying that's bad and I'm SURE that's the norm, but I tend to forget to eat, or I'm too busy/distracted to eat. So I've had visitors actually mutiny against DH and I when it gets to be 3pm and we haven't decided on lunch yet.

Now that DH is always at risk of falling back into diabetes, he really needs to pay better attention to regular meals, but it's hard to tell him what to do.

Long way of explaining why I take vitamins every day. I do think they can help boost immune systems.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Some people are on a blood sugar roller coaster and they really do need to eat regularly. My blood sugar used to dip so low (reactive hypoglycemia) that I'd get shaky and nauseous, and finally would have trouble speaking. For me, eating protein and fat and very few carbohydrates solved that problem. The added bonus is that protein forms the basis of a healthy immune system. Win-win.

Thread Information