Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making friends with denny

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Okay, can't resist...

Could it be that God is punishing you by putting Denny in your life?
    Funny you should see it that way, UL. Wonder why?

Others see the compassion, caring and concern expressed about those less fortunate, or those struggling with PTSD, loneliness, fear about the future, mental illness, insecurity, lack of information, political opportunism, etc... and trying to find a way of coping with all the challenges of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Funny you should see it that way, UL. Wonder why?

Others see the compassion, caring and concern expressed about those less fortunate, or those struggling with PTSD, loneliness, fear about the future, mental illness, insecurity, lack of information, political opportunism, etc... and trying to find a way of coping with all the challenges of doing so.
    I was not trying to be funny. I thought I was asking a theologically sound question. Across most religions, God has been known to punish folks.

Why would Chicken Lady be an exception if God was a punishing type?

Could god be punishing Denny, kind of like Job? Maybe God has a bet going on with The Devil. And maybe Denny is just a convenient way for God to punish Chicken Lady.

Who knows? Right?

For me I just see a combination of chance encounters, human choices, and some circumstances coming together in such a way that Denny is now part of Chicken Lady's life. No superstition. No supernatural stuff. Just people, their choices, and their circumstances. And mental illness...

CL, I am so encouraged by your post.

Denny has already benefited from your kindness, and by you simply suggesting that there are other ways to look at the world.

You have put that into the world ALREADY. That is a lovely thing.

And yes, I also understand the "thanks, but no thanks" feeling.

Thank you for being kind to Denny and for posting about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by leslieann View Post
    Denny has already benefited from your kindness...
    100% agree.

So everyone who has or had or might have a challenging situation with a troubled neighbour is being punished by God in your view, UA? That covers just about everyone worldwide, doesn't it?

Fortunately, much more of the world sees such situations as challenges that need to be addressed in some way as CL is doing or offering ways of coming up with additional coping ideas, empathy and support. It is a difficult enough challenge without being questioned about being negatively responsible for those situations arising, IMHO anyway.
    YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    So everyone who has or had or might have a challenging situation with a troubled neighbour is being punished by God in your view, UA? That covers just about everyone worldwide, doesn't it?

Fortunately, much more of the world sees such situations as challenges that need to be addressed in some way as CL is doing or offering ways of coming up with additional coping ideas, empathy and support. It is a difficult enough challenge without being questioned about being negatively responsible for those situations arising, IMHO anyway.
    YMMV.
    Did you not read my view above? I am just asking about the possibility that this is largely punishment from God.

I am an atheist. I don't believe in the existence of any of the gods.

But I know some people do, so I wanted to see what their thoughts were about the idea that this could be god punishing people.

I think we need much better-funded mental healthcare systems in the US (and throughout the world for that matter). I also think we need a society that is not so maddening. But these are just the tips of the iceberg on what I think.

Still, my question remains valid.

If this could be God instructing CL to be friends with and help this guy, then is it not just as possible that this is punishment?

I read that when God called Mother Therese she did not want to serve the poor but finally accepted that was what she needed to do. I always thought that was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I read that when God called Mother Therese she did not want to serve the poor but finally accepted that was what she needed to do. I always thought that was interesting.
    I'd prefer people empower the poor rather than serve them.

She was a wonderful, self-sacrificing woman that worked with people who had leprosy when no one else would. Mother Theresa did much good in the world. A life well lived.

All of these issues about other's beliefs come about when we operate without tolerance for each other. I am aghast at what some people choose to believe but I have learned not to try and change anyone's mind - overtly at least. My own DH has what I consider controversial or closed views on certain matters but I no longer argue my case. We all get to choose what we want to believe. There are so many hurting, angry, lonely people out there. Kindness is like a salve to them and I commend CL for being kind.

Thread Information