Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering for Bernie

rodeosweetheart

Volunteering for Bernie

As you all know, I have been working for Bernie on this campaign, and even though we had a less than great week last week, he's in it for the long haul, and so am I. In fact, I have redoubled efforts on the phonebanking front, and just wanted to shout out for hope and for the team.

I haven't volunteered for anything for a while, and this is so different--I have not had this much fun volunteering since I was 16 and I worked for a Quaker peace organization doing draft counseling in the Vietnam War.

It feels really good to be working for a peace candidate for a change. And yeah, when I was 12 I worked for Eugene McCarthy.

The people I am meeting are not cynical. And they are kind to each other. It is an eye opener andvery nice to connect with such nice people!

I am so glad to see this shift, I have been finding truly nice people in the meditation/Buddhist community but still have felt on the outskirts of this on a larger scale. It seems like whatever happens there is something for people to come together around again. I missed the 60's (unless you count being born) and the 80's were quite different, I have some hope, and thank you for supporting this. I have learned my energy level and my plate is full, but I also want a candidate/president with a peace focus.

rodeosweetheart
    I hear you about full plates--I had to find a niche where I am comfortable and that plays on my skills, and not on my weaknesses. I am glad I stuck it out to do this, as I can't do a lot of what we need--door to door canvassing in the the windy freezing temps, for example.

It is fun to work with so many committed people who are focusing on peace and positive thinking.

I sent my proxy in for our state caucus, so I could "vote" for Bernie. I wasn't even aware we still had a caucus. I wish we'd move toward primaries--all on one day, preferably.

rodeosweetheart
    I know a lot of people in Maine share your feelings, Jane. My son said the lines to caucus were 4 hours long.

But I'd like to experience one caucus, in my lifetime!

I think what you're doing is so great! Wish I had more time to get involved--it's been a crazy work year so far... but I did just volunteer to go to an event next Friday night to sign a petition to get Bernie on the ballot in NJ! He MUST be on the ballot! I don't care if we are one of the last states to hold a primary. I want the chance to vote for him.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think what you're doing is so great! Wish I had more time to get involved--it's been a crazy work year so far... but I did just volunteer to go to an event next Friday night to sign a petition to get Bernie on the ballot in NJ! He MUST be on the ballot! I don't care if we are one of the last states to hold a primary. I want the chance to vote for him.
    Absolutely, Catherine, way to go!! I am just doing phone monitoring work at home right now, an hour a day when I can fit it in.

I think you will enjoy your event--I have enjoyed the ones I have been to, very much!

What is the difference between phone monitoring and soliciting? I thought phone banking was soliciting and was wondering what your number is so I could call you during dinner?
    What is his belief on the no soliciting rule and making it apply to politicians? (always a peeve of mine)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    What is the difference between phone monitoring and soliciting? I thought phone banking was soliciting and was wondering what your number is so I could call you during dinner?
    What is his belief on the no soliciting rule and making it apply to politicians? (always a peeve of mine)
    Aren't most people like me? I don't answer the phone if I don't know the number. And if they don't leave a message I google the number to see what it is and 9 times out of 10 end up blocking it because it's a shady telemarketer. Also, once I get home I usually leave the cell phone upstairs in the den so I wouldn't even know a call was coming in.

Bernie was in our city yesterday which was cool because we're usually in the position of being PDX's red-headed stepchild. All their media had to come to our side of the river.

Anyway, at least 1,000 people had to wait outdoors to hear him as the venue couldn't hold everyone who came. It was a great feeling to see the energy he brought out of the quiet populace here. I saw many young people, but really all ages.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information