Thread: Fitness challenge anyone?

Fitness challenge anyone?

I'm stuck with a minor injury (hip labral tear) that will take some time to heal. I want to maintain my fitness in the meantime.

I'm going to experiment a bit, and start April 1st.

My goals are:
    1 hour of yoga on odd numbered days, 10 minutes of yoga on even days.

Stretch out using foam roller everyday.

100 counter push ups every day, gradually moving to the floor (with knees down.) I can skip this on days I go kayaking or have archery practice.

Short ab workout every day (I do something called wall bugs.)

Walking as my injury allows (not much).
    Exercycle 30 minutes per day. (I can skip these on dance class days, assuming I can still dance.)

Sunbathing 15 minutes per day (vitamin D deficiency.)

Of course, these will be as time, weather, and pain allows, but I feel that strengthening the muscles I CAN will be the best therapy. I do a lot of this already, but not consistently.

Anyone want to join in? I could use some motivation!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Yes! I just purchased a mobile app ($1.99) called My Minutes and it helps establish habits and goals. I'm doing a "habit a month" program. My January habit was making the bed. I was supposed to do yoga in February but my travel schedule was wild so it wasn't the best month to establish a new habit. So March I was catching up but instead of yoga I am doing 20 minutes of mindfulness meditation. I've already started preparing for April yoga, so I'm definitely on with you!

I was thinking of adding a ChiRunning class to teach me how to run in a low-impact way. I never liked running and being that I celebrate my "will-you-still-need-me-will-you-still-feed-me" birthday on Saturday, I'm concerned about doing damage to my knees. So, I'm still mulling it over.

Or... supplementing yoga with a dance video or class.

I have a bone density test prescription from my doctor, but before I go I want to maximize my chances of "passing the test." Loren Fishman has done studies that have shown that only 10 minutes/12 poses of yoga a day can increase bone density.

So, let's do it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine - yay!
    it was my recent bone density test that made me want to get more serious about fitness! I don't have osteoporosis, but some of my vertebra are close to it. I had no idea bone density could increase from yoga - my doc is all about lifting weights.

I'll check out that app - I need lots of reminders and feedback.

I wish you luck with the running! I dislike running...but I like the idea of it.

I did an hour of yoga last night and though I was careful, I twisted something the wrong way. I still made it to dance class today, but had to give archery a miss. I'm considering setting up my own target (and getting my own bow) so I can get more regular practice. I did some pushups.

I'm feeling my way carefully here. I have had too much ligament and cartilage damage. I'm hypermobile and that's kind of dangerous. I hope by April 1st I have a set of realistic goals I can stick to.
    Last edited by Gardenarian; 3-25-16 at 5:11pm.

Oh, and very happy 64th birthday to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Oh, and very happy 64th birthday to you!
    Thank you!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

So I have had house guests this week and not been on the computer at all.

We've been doing plenty of walking, but my yoga and strength training have been nil. I made it to dance class and archery today, so that's good.

They're leaving tomorrow (wonderful seeing them, but I'll be glad to get back to normal.) I work and have a big dance party to go to - I'll try to get some stretching and push ups in.

I'm becoming more aware of the situations that cause me to skip exercise, but I haven't found a good solution. I also haven't tried the app, and reminders might be what I need.

So today is April 1, so I'm geared up for Habit #3 of the year.. at least 10 minutes of yoga a day. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but people who teach habit-building say that you should start small.

I have it programed into my habit apps, and so I'm ready to go! I'll use MyYogaOnline for my home practice. I'm hoping to get to one local yoga class a week, but my main goal is just the 10 minutes a day, every day.

Thread Information