Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2016 Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Kay.....I finally got a tiny zuchinni a week ago. First one! We're supposed to get a freeze Saturday morning. I wonder if swiss chard can handle a freeze?
    Probably depends on how mature it is (strong) and how hard the frost. It's pretty hardy, usually. In what region do you live?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

So despite the early frost, plants survived. We've been covering them any date predicted below 37.

We continue to get heirlooms-love me some sliced Brandywines And no frost in site for the next 10 days. My best heirloom year of the last 5!

We made another batch of 10 pints tomato sauce.

yum yum yum!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Probably depends on how mature it is (strong) and how hard the frost. It's pretty hardy, usually. In what region do you live?
    I'm in central Indiana (zone 5). I have frost cloth on some things, but not that one. I'm not sure how low my frost cloth protects either. I want to use my lettuce for a salad for guests on Sunday. It doesn't do well picked earlier. I just hope it doesn't freeze.
    It's supposed to get to freezing a little south of here, so it will be colder here. If it weren't for the lettuce and swiss chard, I would welcome a hard freeze. Oh....and I do still have some peppers, which are covered also.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    This is why (after 2 years of crop failure) I am not growing "heirloom" tomatoes again. Despite my coddling, they just weren't worth the trouble. I don't think I got one good one---my other tomatoes were awesome.
    I'm the same way Kay. I tried heirloom, but they all pooped out. I didn't have as good a fence as I have now, and the rabbits went right for them too. I do grow Rutgers every year for my slicing tomatoes....I guess they're heirloom. I would love to grow others, but I'm past experimenting. I want sure things.

Hey Gardnr.......did you see my earlier question about what you do with your eggplants?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Hey Gardnr.......did you see my earlier question about what you do with your eggplants?
    Sorry. I use what we don't eat right away, as roasted veg in my ratatouille. I've not tried any other manner of preserving eggplant.

I just made some eggplant parmesan the other day.........but I had to buy the eggplant.

Thread Information