Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Gardens

The World Daffodil Convention is here next week. This early warm weather is causing early bloom and I am not sure if daffs will be at peak. But the daffodil growers here have hundreds of varieties than span a long time, so perhaps all will be well. plus,exhibitors will break ng daffodil stems from all over the world.

I have a tough time with carrots, unless I get them pelleted. Otherwise the ants eat the seeds. I also have to remember to keep the bed evenly moist until germination.

The goat and I weeded some more and I tied the grapevine to the fence.

I filled one bed and planted 30 strawberries (there were extra). Put together the other bed and filled it. It can sit for a little while - I'm splitting strawberries out of a bed from last year.

Also planted two rhubarb starts.

i still have potatoes and 8 more raspberries to plant and it's almost time to start some direct seeding if the ground will dry out enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    The goat and I weeded some more and I tied the grapevine to the fence.

I filled one bed and planted 30 strawberries (there were extra). Put together the other bed and filled it. It can sit for a little while - I'm splitting strawberries out of a bed from last year..
    I"m thinking about pulling out the strawberries. I have a 3x14 foot bed. We get enough for nibbling but not enough for more. I'm thinking this garden real estate can be put to better use.

Thoughts?

In my little portable greenhouse on the back patio I have started my seeds:

32 beets (will do 32 every 3w until seeds are all used).

eggplant 2 cultivars x15 seeds each
    cucumber 2 cultivars x15 seeds each

15 each: spaghetti squash, delicata, zucchini

Let the growing begin!

I cannot plant until end of May, early June per forecast we can still get frost..

I have spinach, lettuce and vit (corn salad, mache), parsnips, red onion starts, carrots up in my raised beds. I planted 5 raspberry starts about a month ago and they're doing well. My DH decided he wanted to put some lumber around the edge of the bed to keep the grass out of it. I figured from what he was saying that he was going to sink some 1-or 2 x 4s down in the ground just above grass level. Well, was I surprised to come home to see raised boxes around them! 2x12s!! Ugh. I just hope they don't fill up with rainwater. I couldn't say anything, he was so proud of what he'd done.

The tomato and pepper starts have begun to show up at the farmers market, but it is way to early to put them out in my area. I'm disappointed in myself after my success in starting my own last year, I just missed my window of opportunity this year. I actually did start some, but kinda forgot about them somehow and DH is clueless about such things, so no help there. So I'll be buying starts at the market.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

image.jpg

Here is a surprise in my garden, Iris tectorum, a species from China and Burma/Myranmar.

This is supposed to be easynto geow, but me, Iris Queen of the city, I was unable to get it established . Now, all of a sudden, I vae got a nice strong clump. Yay!

So here's what is planted in my gardens:

27 tomatoes
    14 peppers (bell all the way to habanero, 2each)
    16 eggplant
    5 zucchini
    6 spaghetti squash
    6 delicata squash
    12 green beans volunteered from last year
    12 cucumbers
    30 beets (2 didn't make it)
    catnip
    herbs x6
    kale 8

now let the growing begin

I don't know where my post went, so I'll try it again.

My raised stock tank garden is doing well. I have about 9 of them. I've planted several varieties of tomatoes, peppers, lettuces, chard, spinach, and 2 varieties of bush beans. In the ground I've planted Waltham butternut squash, 2 varieties of pole beans and cucumbers. The stock tanks, even though I drilled too many holes in them, drain great when there's too much rain. But when there's not enough rain, I have to water every 2-3 days....which I don't really mind because I love watering the garden, and there's a water source close by.
    Since some of the garden flooded last year, I planted in the in-ground crops on some built-up hills.

I've used my usual concrete-reinforcing wire cages for the tomatoes, which makes them pretty tall. I might have to figure out a way of securing them in high winds....but I don't think that will be a problem.

Here's a pic of the tomatoes and lettuces. I love not having to lean down so far to garden! I've grown the pole beans up trellises, and I'm growing the squash up a cattle panel that I've bent into an arch. If the weeds on the ground get too high, I'll just weed-eat them with my cordless weed-eater. I love gardening and am glad to have figured out a way to continue it, without so much pain.

I have tomato's,cucumbers,beans,green peppers,radishes and a few other vegetables and i have two kinds of watermelon and a blueberry bush and a rasberry also growing my own strawberries and my green grapes as i enjoy gardening,the fruit are patio bushes but,the grapes and rasberry grow from the ground,and i'll be planting a apple tree soon.

Thread Information