Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Dude making a difference?

  1. #21
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,646
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I thought he claimed to be 33.33% god. The other 66.66% was The Father and The Holy Spirit (which I, incidentally, deny the existence of).
    To touch on my other thread, I'm wondering if this is what his Ancestry.com DNA test showed.

    But theologically, your math is wrong, because it does not take into account the triune God.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  2. #22
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    To touch on my other thread, I'm wondering if this is what his Ancestry.com DNA test showed.

    But theologically, your math is wrong, because it does not take into account the triune God.
    Triune? Oh man... I am sure Jesus, The Father, and the Holy Spirit are none-too-please by having to split their godliness 4 ways.
    的 came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  3. #23
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    Except no, he didn't.

    But that's grist for another discussion in another area of the forum.
    The scripture attributes numerous quotes addressing this but bring it up elsewhere and maybe you can convince me otherwise. State what particular theological training you draw from or religious dogma so I can understand your bias.
    I was raised in the Christian & Missionary Alliance, baptized by immersion at age 14 and sanctified. Some may describe us as dispensationalists. But mostly I am a dumb retired cop.

    There you have a head start on me.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The scripture attributes numerous quotes addressing this but bring it up elsewhere and maybe you can convince me otherwise. State what particular theological training you draw from or religious dogma so I can understand your bias.
    I was raised in the Christian & Missionary Alliance, baptized by immersion at age 14 and sanctified. Some may describe us as dispensationalists. But mostly I am a dumb retired cop.

    There you have a head start on me.
    I was raised Catholic. I did not consent to Baptism and was coerced into Confirmation.

    I have since "blasphemed."

    But mostly I am just a loan drone and humble fisherman.
    的 came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  5. #25
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I was raised Catholic. I did not consent to Baptism and was coerced into Confirmation.

    I have since "blasphemed."

    But mostly I am just a loan drone and humble fisherman.
    Then you were an infant and I would agree with you...your baptism meant nothing. Your confirmation confirmed nothing. Jesus loved fishermen.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Then you were an infant and I would agree with you...your baptism meant nothing. Your confirmation confirmed nothing.
    I mean this: That is very considerate of you to say. I appreciate it very much.
    的 came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,037
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Good question! I think it varies. From what I have read, Daniel Suelo just plans to go out like a wild animal. Perhaps Rob has a different plan.



    Would you say this of Saint Francis of Assisi?

    Further complicate it: Sometimes (often times?) one's method of supporting oneself is pretty dang horrible and exploitative. So simply supporting oneself does not provide the foundation for a moral high ground.
    You've got me there. I'd be inclined to make an exception for saints, if not bloggers (although I'm not aware if Francis ever broke into an unoccupied house). I also doubt retirement planning was much of an issue in the 12th century. Nor was there a well-founded expectation that the taxpayers would keep you from starving, so the "money-free" life would have involved much higher stakes than it does today.

    The people we're talking about here, have much more of a safety net to back them up than the saints of old. They're not risking much more than going on the dole. Holding oneself out as an example to emulate to some of the very same people who will someday be supporting you is a nice bit of Chutzpah, but is it really all that admirable?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,037
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I was raised Catholic. I did not consent to Baptism and was coerced into Confirmation.

    I have since "blasphemed."

    But mostly I am just a loan drone and humble fisherman.
    I would say that technically you would be an apostate rather than a blasphemer under those circumstances.

    I'm not sure that it's even possible for you to blaspheme. Sacrilege requiring a sense of the sacred, a non-believer taking God's name in vain would carry all the import of a blind person insulting your looks.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You've got me there. I'd be inclined to make an exception for saints, if not bloggers (although I'm not aware if Francis ever broke into an unoccupied house). I also doubt retirement planning was much of an issue in the 12th century. Nor was there a well-founded expectation that the taxpayers would keep you from starving, so the "money-free" life would have involved much higher stakes than it does today.

    The people we're talking about here, have much more of a safety net to back them up than the saints of old. They're not risking much more than going on the dole. Holding oneself out as an example to emulate to some of the very same people who will someday be supporting you is a nice bit of Chutzpah, but is it really all that admirable?
    I wonder what naysayers thought of the Franciscan monks back in their era.

    But I also wonder about how people like Rob Greenfield fit in with Franciscan philosophy. Like for instance, Rob is giving you something. He is giving you the opportunity to be charitable to him. Seems rather Franciscan, in a way.

    Could deeming him a crumb bum and denying him charity be violating this old code? "What you do onto the least of my people, you do unto me." (Who was it that said this? I can't recall...)


    Furthermore, when I read into Rob's plan to be home-free with 111 possessions he said he can live without leaning on others, though he does trade labor and such for what he needs sometimes.
    的 came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  10. #30
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I would say that technically you would be an apostate rather than a blasphemer under those circumstances.

    I'm not sure that it's even possible for you to blaspheme. Sacrilege requiring a sense of the sacred, a non-believer taking God's name in vain would carry all the import of a blind person insulting your looks.
    I was always told that denying the existence of the Holy Spirit is blaspheming.
    的 came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •