Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April Food Challenge: A Soup a Day with 3+ Different Vegetables

I only have tomato soup (joy of cooking recipe with glass jarred tomatoes). It's really just onions, tomatoes and olive oil, salt and pepper, I added a little cayenne (very little taste by taste - you have to be careful with that stuff) not enough to make it hot, hot is not the effect I was after, but more to give it more body and leave some pleasing warmth (not hot!) in the mouth after I take a spoonful. Not 3 veggies really, oh well, healthy enough. Will probably make again because it's easy and doesn't take much time (yea easy is important at this point). Would try with fresh tomatoes if they were in season.

It fits into the goal of having food ready made when I get home, that didn't take much time to prepare, that is a light dinner (I seem to have to snack late afternoon to get through the day, so I don't need more than soup, and a cracker or nibble of nuts and cheese etc.).

but lots of times I'll make a big pot and eat the same soup all week. I guess I'l try to think of different soups for each day.
    that's what I do and its a good thing (but I often halve recipes so its more like 3-4 days worth than a week), it's great to not have to cook a new meal each day.
    Trees don't grow on money

Simmered some diced potatoes, carrots and onions in a little bacon fat and added 2 C bouillon till tender. Added 1 C milk and blended. Served myself two meals with crumbled bacon on top and salt and pepper to taste. Very tasty and easy.

Chicken gumbo soup with tomatoes, onions, peppers, and okra. Does garlic count? I haven't made soup lately, but I had corned beef and cabbage cooked with onions and three colors of carrots last week.

FYI, here's a link to an old thread here for soup recipes. http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...-Recipes-Soups

Way to go Maward. I am simmering the peeled stems of the broccoli, chunks of onion and cauliflower for soup tomorrow. We are on time of use electricity service in Ontario so I try to do the main cooking at the lowest $$ rate which is 7pm to 7am daily and 24 hours on weekends.
    I will blend and add some milk and flavourings tomorrow for lunch with a salad.

Made a pot of salsa soup with added mixed legumes and corn plus salad for supper. Having the soup as a goal is helping me think about alternatives which is good. Thanks Amaranth!

Leftover soup that I made a few days ago. Lots of veggies - eggplant, red and green bell pepper, tomatoes, zucchini, onion, garlic and something else I don't remember.

I looked through the recipes I've saved and found some that sound really good that have 3 or more veggies each. I'm looking forward to trying some of them!

I got Joel Furhman's book Super immunity foods and made one soup- with modifications. 1/2 c. split peas, cooked and softened (cook 5 min. let sit an hour), drain, add 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes, 2 cans water, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, clove of garlic, onion slices, 1/2 lb. Kale, 1 cup sliced carrots ( i used frozen). It made an excellent soup and I was thinking it would be like medicine to have a cup or so each day, but am finding it quite tasty. I added salt and pepper. Parmesean cheese on top and some croutons. Hoping it works to make me immune to all the colds!

I'm probably going to be souped out by the end of the month, but I looked over my saved soup recipes and got excited about trying them. So I'll probably have soup twice today.

Lunch was Blue Cheese and Bacon Soup. Mushrooms, onion and cauliflower for veggies, sauteed in butter, and broth, blue cheese and bacon. It was ok, but not as good as it sounded. Still sounds, even though I know it didn't turn out great. I guess it needs some tweaking.

Thread Information