Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: introvert thing

As someone who is somewhat socially awkward, I find it easier to work with others on a specific project with a defined goal, as opposed to just sitting around chatting small talk. If you have a lot of introverts, perhaps you can work on something together? A community service oriented project for example?

As an introvert, I'm wondering why you have to have friends and activities. Is it a specific activity you really want to do with other people? Any hope of finding other people who are already doing it?

two of my kids are extroverts and when they were little I struggled through all the activities with all the other parents for their sakes. Now I don't have to. Ds best friends' mom retired last year and he asked her "will you please go over and hang out with my mom? I'm concerned that now that my sister is in college the only adults she'll ever speak to are my grandmother, my dad, and the grocery clerk." She drops by every couple of weeks. And I've been to her house twice. She is currently the only non work/family/grocery adult I see more than once a month and that is plenty of socialization for me!

I like potlucks because cause I buy food to take and get to try new things and not do dishes.

dd1 is marrying the potluck King. She was used to me, so the morning she discovered that she had forgotten there was a potluck after work, she called him and asked "could you just bring bread or something?" And he showed up with two loaves of hot, homemade challah, sorry because he didn't have time and ingredients to do anything fancy to the butter.

I am an introvert who values connection. So super large parties and things like that are icky. But I do really like to get together with people and small groups. My kids are now all grown up and over the last couple years I realize that I have a social life that is too small for me. With the foreclosure and moving I don't have any neighborhood friends, no couple friends since I am divorced. I am fine doing things by myself but it is getting old. Last summer I had a hike I really wanted to do, I ended up feeling a little at risk doing the last part by myself. My anxiety was a little high since flight for life was circling the area! Movies are good to see with other people and talk about it with, or share popcorn.

I am not complaining, I realize I need to put the effort forth, however I think it is hard to understand the depth of this. My son and his girlfriend live with me so I have people to talk to at times, I actually really like living in an apartment building and having some random interaction like talking in the elevator. I read an article about happiness correlated to population density. They had the findings that said people were happier in smaller communities which I didn't like. There have been further studies showing that people with higher intelligence actually do better in areas of higher population density. I am loving the city, just need to add some social activities.

ZoeGirl, I find I am much better one on one than in a group, although I do have group activities- writers' at the library and a book group at the library and another book group with people I taught with, lunch with a teacher group- only 4 others- and we've been together for 30 years...doing birthdays. I see my sister a couple times a month and a few friends individually a few times a month so feel very social. I am happiest one on one and do enjoy the groups to keep my brain moving. Good luck in finding a niche for you where yo to be comfortable.

So I would think you're an extrovert. ;-)

also, guess I'm not as smart as I think. Cities and apartment buildings make me miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    So I would think you're an extrovert. ;-)

also, guess I'm not as smart as I think. Cities and apartment buildings make me miserable.

I am not extreme introvert, really getting towards the middle of the scale the last few years. I can survive much longer alone than being with people constantly.

I used to think I was more comfortable outside the city but I had never lived there. There are lots of little pockets of community here. Our next door neighbor is an elderly lady and she has family and helpers over often to assist her. She had not been out in ages but a week ago I saw her son take her in a wheelchair to synagogue so she is doing better. She talks to my son and his girlfriend all the time. Today my son was saying the suburbs had a lot of unspoken judgment going on, but in the city we don't stand out (negatively) as much.

Thread Information