Thread: World Autism Awareness Day

Williamsmith

World Autism Awareness Day

Tomorrow, April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day. Landmarks all over the world will be lit with blue light filters to call attention to the challenges families face caring for autistic children and adults.

Wear blue in honor of the millions affected by autism.

Thats all. Thank You.

WS, has autism become more and better diagnosed or more prevalent? I am often curious about such things wondering whether autistic conditions were simply ignored or treated inappropriately before.
    A professional acquaintance had three children who were all autistic and she was struggling to work to support her family, advocate for for the autism needs and take care of her family with little support, socially or financially.

will wear blue. The woman who cleans our house and has become a dear friend, works for an autism not-for-profit. Her theory is that is was not diagnosed properly years ago and there are things making it more prevalent such as chemicals in the environment, IDK. Anyway, her agency does a lot of good, especially offering a special daycare and after school program for autistic children. What a sad syndrome.

I was just reading this morning that the rate (1 in 68) has leveled off in the recent several years.

The Light it up blue thing has been around a while. It seems most advocates are working on acceptance and inclusion now more than awareness.

My grandson is on the spectrum and I've been pretty involved in his life. Den leader for his autism-sensory-friendly pack, volunteer for a local non-profit that works awareness, advocacy and acceptance.
    I'm so proud of him; he's the bravest little (well, he's 13) boy I know. Next year he is going to high school and has been accepted into the pre-engineering program. They will make any accommodations he needs. He's really excited about it. He's come a long way from a toddler who lost his words, began sign language, entered early intervention and although he still struggles, is happy and achieving.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

happy and achieving, how wonderful is that? that's cool that the school has a pre-engineering program

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    WS, has autism become more and better diagnosed or more prevalent? I am often curious about such things wondering whether autistic conditions were simply ignored or treated inappropriately before.
    A professional acquaintance had three children who were all autistic and she was struggling to work to support her family, advocate for for the autism needs and take care of her family with little support, socially or financially.
    It makes sense that as awareness and actual detection planning improve, the rates will also increase until a leveling off occurs. I believe there is still room for improving detection especially within minority communities. The biggest challenge is providing adequate services at a cost even the poor can afford. This is not a plea for entitlement, it is warning against minimizing those in need. The level of caring for and educating all children no matter their physical or mental challenges is sign of a society's moral health. autismspeaks.org is a good resource for the cause.

https://youtu.be/j3N8JJ-eN98

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The level of caring for and educating all children no matter their physical or mental challenges is sign of a society's moral health.

https://youtu.be/j3N8JJ-eN98
    +1

Thanks for the reminder and the video, Williamsmith.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My family often suspects that I might be on the edge of the spectrum due to my struggles with non-verbal and emotional cues.

what is interesting to me is that we partner with a school that serves autistic kids and many of the "high functioning" students are mainstreamed into our classes for part of the day. My class is a highly individualized mixed age art elective and i get a huge range of students.

I find the autistic kids really easy to work with. In fact, one year another teacher had looked at my class lists and said "so, you have 5 autistic kids in one class. How's that going?" And I asked "which class is it?"

i do do understand that my students are at least somewhat verbal, fully ambulatory and somewhat self regulated, so they are much easier to care for than many of the kids families are raising.

Thread Information